what is a good scale to use for coins?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I was just wondering what would be a good scale for coins- something decent and reliable that can hold a pretty hefty weight(10 pounds or so) and down to the gram...

I figure to ask here because I am sure a good handful of you all have a scale for coins... Thanks in advance,
HH
Buff

Upvote 0

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
I'm not sure you can get a scale that can go to 10 lbs and be sensitive to the gram. I could be wrong. I use a Laser-300 which has specs of 300g X 0.1g. This is good for scaling rolls and individual coins (1982 cents, junk silver, etc.). About $15 or so from your local head shop. I've had mine for years.

Jeff

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, i have no experiance with scales and how sensitive they are, I am basically looking for a larger range scale, maybe up to 1 pound?
I'm not sure you can get a scale that can go to 10 lbs and be sensitive to the gram. I could be wrong. I use a Laser-300 which has specs of 300g X 0.1g. This is good for scaling rolls and individual coins (1982 cents, junk silver, etc.). About $15 or so from your local head shop. I've had mine for years.

Jeff

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor Freight has a great scale for coins. Weighs in grams or oz and will handle 25 pounds plus. I use it to verify bags before buying.

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
Harbor Freight has a great scale for coins. Weighs in grams or oz and will handle 25 pounds plus. I use it to verify bags before buying.

I then stand corrected and educated from my above comment!!!

I went to Harbor Freight...here is a link. This one goes to 11 lbs and is capable of doing grams!!

Digital Scale

This one would not be able to effectively weight a bag of dimes though. Namster, do you know which model to look for that would accurately weigh bags and be capable of measuring in grams. I think a $1000 bag of halves is just over 50 lbs.

Thanks,

Jeff

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you all for the input, something i should really look into!
HH
Buff

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
Buffalo -

Thanks for starting this. I have been shorted a couple of times on bags, worst about $41 on dimes but all in all things have probably about balanced out in the long-term. But I do like the idea of weighing bags on site to avoid the potential surprise. That said I think most of us know that clad dimes weigh 2.27 grams, nickels 5.00 grams, etc., etc. Does anyone know the approximate weight (in grams) of an empty CoinLok bag? I cannot weigh one on my little gram scale. This would be valuable information to have to make the calculation for what a "full" bag should be. Also any other good scale recommendations?

Jeff

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
you'd also need to account for "wear" so I'd say if the bag gets you to more than the calculated weight (or maybe even a little less), you'd be pretty much set. This is just my guess though and this is the internet so I can do that. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread