What's new

What is everyone doing with their NIFC halves?

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
192
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have about $30 (60 coins) tied up in them, and I have no idea why I am setting them aside.

Anyone?

Nick
 
Upvote 0
Well so far I have mine put back as well but like you I really don't know why?? Just hate to pitch them in the return bucket when going through my coins! :D
 
What classifies a coin a NIFC and how can you tell?
 
coincrawlin said:
What classifies a coin a NIFC and how can you tell?

2002 to 2010 were Not Intended For Circulation, and I think I read somewhere that 1987 is NIFC too.
 
Savin mine, 'cause in about 75 years they will have collector value!
 
mick56 said:
At first I was keeping them, now I throw them back.

Same here. Recently I dumped all my NIFCs. Proofs (that had any scratches or bag marks), 1987 coins, clad commemoratives, etc. Any non-silver half had to go. Even had a bunch of the gold-plated coins I dumped. Will be interesting to see if any come up in a future box someday.

Jim
 
Back they go... I will say this, I've been finding a lot more of them recently.
 
Are these the high shine S mint mark clad coins? I have a pile too and have then just set aside for i don't know what.
 
weighit said:
Are these the high shine S mint mark clad coins? I have a pile too and have then just set aside for i don't know what.

It sounds like you are talking about "proofs". NIFC's are "not issued for circulation".
 
sneak said:
weighit said:
Are these the high shine S mint mark clad coins? I have a pile too and have then just set aside for i don't know what.

It sounds like you are talking about "proofs". NIFC's are "not issued for circulation".

All Kennedy "S" proofs are technically NIFCs, since they were released in proof sets only, which were sold by the mint to the public.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
sneak said:
weighit said:
Are these the high shine S mint mark clad coins? I have a pile too and have then just set aside for i don't know what.

It sounds like you are talking about "proofs". NIFC's are "not issued for circulation".

All Kennedy "S" proofs are technically NIFCs, since they were released in proof sets only, which were sold by the mint to the public.

Jim
Yes that is what I have, so are they just not worth more than the 50 cents? Should i just spend them?
 
Impaired proofs have some value over face.. look up older threads.. proofs have more value than NIFC's. If you have a bunch of impaired proofs, you may be able to get up to $1.00 each if you have a bunch of them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom