What's new

What is it. how old?

bartshop62

Banned
Joined
Feb 12, 2020
Messages
310
Reaction score
167
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is it? How old? What is that bumpy part? In picture 6 and 7? IM GUESSING ITS BROKEN. I found it in a civil war battle area ravine area could it be that era and related to it? 20210203_173723.webp20210203_173741.webp20210203_173801.webp20210203_173821.webp20210203_173827.webp20210203_173833.webp20210203_174336.webp
 
maker's mark stamp ?
 
Upvote 0
Looks to me like a blacksmiths hardy. am trying to tell in the pictures if the shaft was originally square. Some early anvils had small hardy holes of 1/2", typical sizes, 5/8, 3/4, 1" depending on anvil size. Early ones were crude.
 
Upvote 0
Looks to me like a blacksmiths hardy. am trying to tell in the pictures if the shaft was originally square. Some early anvils had small hardy holes of 1/2", typical sizes, 5/8, 3/4, 1" depending on anvil size. Early ones were crude.

Could be hand tool to open or close a water valve in the ground. Just a guess. marion
 
Upvote 0
Looks to me like a blacksmiths hardy. am trying to tell in the pictures if the shaft was originally square. Some early anvils had small hardy holes of 1/2", typical sizes, 5/8, 3/4, 1" depending on anvil size. Early ones were crude.

I was trhinking hardy too, but it looks like the shaft is welded to the square part. Hardy's are one solid piece.
 
Upvote 0
We have one at the sawmill we call it a spud. Made of iron, has a long iron handle and is used for stripping bark.
 
Upvote 0
Brick bolster?

HTB1JGilSXXXXXccXVXX760XFXXXr.webp
 
Upvote 0
Looks like the "handle" was forge-welded to the business end. My first thought was a crude cold chisel, but the business end wouldn't be that worn.
Maybe some sort of forging tool. Nice find in any case. Might have been used to bend red-hot flat iron, or something like that.
Jim
 
Upvote 0
Broken pick axe head?

I suppose there is an outside chance it is a broken bayonet mount entrenching tool. Although it seems crudely made... I looked at a few but didn't see an exact match.
 
Upvote 0
I was trhinking hardy too, but it looks like the shaft is welded to the square part. Hardy's are one solid piece.

Yes, noticed that in the last two pictures. I agree with Jim in that looks to be a forge weld. I have been racking my brain on this one. If the item is "possible" Civil War era, that's interesting. Smiths and Farriers were enlisted, using traveling forges, thousands of horses and pack mules to shoe and anything broken made of metal to repair in the field.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
What is it?

Good afternoon everyone!

Any idea what this is? British Button.webp

British Colonial button?
 
Upvote 0
Good afternoon everyone!

Any idea what this is? View attachment 1900620

British Colonial button?
welcome to the site, that's a very nice button you've found . thanks for sharing it. you should start a new thread to do such a nice find justice.
 
Upvote 0
Why did you start a thread on my thread??? and i think that is like a veterena button.

Because he/she is new and doesn't understand the board etiquette. You'd be surprised how many new members come across as rude and obnoxious. Fortunately for those noobs, most people on this site try cut new members some slack.
 
Upvote 0
Because he/she is new and doesn't understand the board etiquette. You'd be surprised how many new members come across as rude and obnoxious. Fortunately for those noobs, most people on this site try cut new members some slack.
Yeah.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry about that bartshop62! I did not mean to offend. I really thought I was creating my own thread... I am now trying to take it down because I did not intend to upset anyone or be rude, etc. However, I cannot figure out how to take it down. Again, very sorry. Just new to this and find the site quite confusing in terms of usability.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry about that bartshop62! I did not mean to offend. I really thought I was creating my own thread... I am now trying to take it down because I did not intend to upset anyone or be rude, etc. However, I cannot figure out how to take it down. Again, very sorry. Just new to this and find the site quite confusing in terms of usability.

Don't worry about it - We all make mistakes and learn from them. Water over the dam now, Kdot. By the way: Welcome to the forum!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom