Thats an exact match Digg.diggummup said:Here is one on ebay-http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150450007388

Yup. I figured he might want to watch it and see if it sells.bigcypresshunter said:Thats an exact match Digg.diggummup said:Here is one on ebay-http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150450007388
D.Staplin.
NHBandit said:Here is a chunk of melted babbit metal I found while detecting around an old railroad repair shop. I believe this is what fell on the ground when they were pouring a new bearing for one of the trains. Very likely the same material as yours.
The last eBay link I posted sold it as a railroad item so I think this is basically solved. If you feel the same, post the green check.rush said:my brother found this next to the Railroad trax
in UT.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,259097.0.htmltrying to post anoother pic with a diferent metal problem with posting pic will try later !thanksrush said:Wow Thanks for All the Info Guys !
I picked it up from the antique store
for 5 bucks because I thought it
would make a good door stop!
This one has an (A) on the back also!
Thank you I will keep my
eye on the one on ebay!
Best to start a new thread if its a different "what is it" item.rush said:trying to post anoother pic with a diferent metal problem with posting pic will try later !thanks
Babbit metal was used to pour bearings for axles, etc on train wheels & other moving parts. Modern bearings are made of similar metal but are generally made in half circle shaped pairs to make them easier to replace. The old babbit bearings were used in Model T engines, on axles, etc and were replaced by melting the metal & pouring it into place. The pics I posted were of a similar material that has run onto the ground in it's melted state and cooled on the ground which is what gave it the shape & texture of the dirt it landed on.bradyboy said:why or what would you use the bar for?
melt to make jewlery?
Brady
