What's new

What is it?????

jtw1313

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
3,728
Reaction score
2,099
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.......has etched fish and crosses around the middle so I’m guessing religious. Also has some writing in symbolism I believe
 
I like it. It looks hand hammered, hand etched and hand made in general. Have you tested the metal content? Looks old to me, that or a good fake.
 
Upvote 0
An urn possibly does look well crafted
 
Upvote 0
The fish and the cross are obvious Christian symbols. The "text?" doesn't look familiar.
 
Upvote 0
I’m not finding any marks on the bottom........I do believe very old I will check metal a little later but it is non magnetic
 
Upvote 0
Your item looks like it would come from the Mediterranean or North African (Ethiopian) area. Some type of tea or coffee urn.
 
Upvote 0
I believe the writing is not Hebrew (modern or ancient), Sumerian or Cuneiform.

Tracking down the language will tell you a great deal about what you have.
 
Upvote 0
I'll have my computer back online again in a couple days (using an
ancient laptop now) and then I can fix those pics up to show the
detail much better.

Had a massive power surge come through our neighborhood Nov. 27th, and
it toasted my computer and 27" monitor right along with our electric furnace
(only source for heating the house), clothes dryer and a dozen other appliances.
 
Upvote 0
Here are some better pics

........
 
Upvote 0
Thats really cool still hoping for an ID
 
Upvote 0
looks like possibly a replica of what they used for wine in the Era of Zeus,
at meals where they all just grab it & Swig
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are no markings other than the inscription at the top

...........
 
Upvote 0
I’m not an expert, but it looks like an old fancy funeral urn to me.
 
Upvote 0
Well old digger correctly IDed it's origin, it's Ethiopian, the text is in ethiopian script

Ethiopic script

I guess it could be some liturgical container, maybe a holy water container, many Ethiopians are devout orthodox coptic christians.
By the photos I wouldn't rule out silver or silver plating, it looks hand forged and old, the famous silver ethiopian crosses are never marked, the original old ones that is.

 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom