What's new

What Is That Stuff On My Windsheild?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
⛮ Administrator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
56,452
Reaction score
72,709
Golden Thread
0
I had to scrape frost off my windshield this morning so I could go workout, first time in 16 years. It was 29 when I went to gym. I no longer even own ice scraper.

Saturday morning it was 24°F when I got up to go to gym AT 5AM, I checked temperature, saw it said 24° and said screw it and I went back to bed. First time I miss the gym since Christmas day, only missed 2 days in December.


Video brother-in-law took he lives south of Orlando anout 25 miles.

 
Last edited:
I had to scrape frost off my windshield this morning so I could go workout, first time in 16 years. It was 29 when I went to gym.

Saturday morning it was 24°F when I got up to go to gym AT 5AM, I checked temperature, saw it said 24° and said screw it and I went back to bed. First time I miss the gym since Christmas day, only missed 2 days in December.


Video brother-in-law took he lives south of Orlando anout 25 miles.

A gift from the Great White North.
Since you're not sharing the heat, we'll just share some of our cold.
 
IMG_9456b.webp

The Mighty Hudson River, Dobbs Ferry, New York 020226
 
Around here when it snows we get enough workout we don't need no stinky gym.

Ditto for the cold and firewood.
I know what you mean sir, I've spent over 25 years in the winters of Ohio, Minnesota, Nebraska, N.Dakota, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, and Colorado. Cut a lot of firewood 🪓over my lifetime, had both fireplaces, and wood stoves to feed..

I was even a part time chimney sweep for almost 10 years In Missouri....

20241013_080932(1).webp
 
I use a credit card or unretured motel card key type to scrape that light frost off. Works good. Living in the Sacramento area people brought out warm cups of tap water when ever there was frost on the windshield. I introduced the credit card method to one of the neighbors there in Fair Oaks CA. He thought that was really slick.
 
I use a credit card or unretured motel card key type to scrape that light frost off. Works good. Living in the Sacramento area people brought out warm cups of tap water when ever there was frost on the windshield. I introduced the credit card method to one of the neighbors there in Fair Oaks CA. He thought that was really slick.

I remembered later on, AFTER I scraped the frost with CC that when I lived in north, I sometimes would fill up zip lock baggies with hot water and wipe the windows and the heat from hot water baggies wiped the frost away. ( Doesn't work as good on thick ice.)
 
Got one, but no room to put cars in, have trailer in garage that takes up half of the garage that home owners association want allow on side of home.
You’re in Florida and you can’t have a boat in your yard? I thought that almost a legal requirement!
 
Just put something over your windshield tonight. Dry towel, or a blanket. Assuming you don’t have freezing rain.
 
I’ve heard volenteers are taking advantage of this weather to capture invasive tropical animals.
 
Just put something over your windshield tonight. Dry towel, or a blanket. Assuming you don’t have freezing rain.
Cardboard, bust open a box. The wiper blades hold it down. Turn on the blades, kill the engine switch when they are at about 45 degrees. Then slide the cardboard under.
 
Cardboard, bust open a box. The wiper blades hold it down. Turn on the blades, kill the engine switch when they are at about 45 degrees. Then slide the cardboard under.
I don't think I would use the wipers to hold the cardboard, you might then have your wipers frozen to the cardboard.
 
Well, back in the olden days, shutting your key off without your wipers parked correctly would result in the possibility of a dead battery. I still have the habit of cycling the motor to the rest position before leaving. Old habits are hard to break.
 
Well, back in the olden days, shutting your key off without your wipers parked correctly would result in the possibility of a dead battery. I still have the habit of cycling the motor to the rest position before leaving. Old habits are hard to break.

Never ever heard of that. Doesn't even make any sense. If the ignition switch goes off and stops the wipers, that means nothing about the wipers matters to the battery. As well as everything else related to the ignition switch being off. But I have only owned and operated model years form the 1960's to present.
 
Never ever heard of that. Doesn't even make any sense. If the ignition switch goes off and stops the wipers, that means nothing about the wipers matters to the battery. As well as everything else related to the ignition switch being off. But I have only owned and operated model years form the 1960's to present.
I don’t know, I had a 1963 VW bug that it happened on as well as a 1976 Chevy truck. I suppose it could have been the result of bad wiring or a bad wiper motor. Dad told me that he had had the same thing happen to him before. Here is what the idiot box says “ In many vehicles from the 1960s, if the windshield wipers were left on or mid-cycle when the engine was turned off, the wiper motor could continue to draw current from the battery until the wipers completed their cycle or stopped. This could drain the battery if the wipers were left in that state for an extended period, especially if the battery was not fully charged or was older.

Unlike many modern cars that have circuits to prevent battery drain from accessories when the engine is off, older cars often had simpler electrical systems without automatic shutoffs for accessories like wipers. So leaving the wipers on or halfway through their cycle could indeed lead to battery drain.”

That VW was pretty simple.
 
I don’t know, I had a 1963 VW bug that it happened on as well as a 1976 Chevy truck. I suppose it could have been the result of bad wiring or a bad wiper motor. Dad told me that he had had the same thing happen to him before. Here is what the idiot box says “ In many vehicles from the 1960s, if the windshield wipers were left on or mid-cycle when the engine was turned off, the wiper motor could continue to draw current from the battery until the wipers completed their cycle or stopped. This could drain the battery if the wipers were left in that state for an extended period, especially if the battery was not fully charged or was older.

Unlike many modern cars that have circuits to prevent battery drain from accessories when the engine is off, older cars often had simpler electrical systems without automatic shutoffs for accessories like wipers. So leaving the wipers on or halfway through their cycle could indeed lead to battery drain.”

That VW was pretty simple.
What idiot box are you quoting?

On any vehicle: turning the ignition key to the off position has consequences by design. If something different is happening then something is busted. No other options.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom