what is the best loupe for coin collecting?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bosch and Lomb made good products up until the 70's, I think, when they sold their name to some crappy manufacturer. They are now pretenders in optics, and everything else they make. You want a 10x triplet folding hand lense or loupe. Any higher magnification can be difficult to use. You can spend anywhere from $15 to $400 dollars for one. Buy a German, Eastern European/Russian, or Japanese one for $50 to $100 bucks, and it will last a lifetime.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea who makes it...I have a metal one that folds. What they use to look at stones. I think it's a 30 power.(?) Then I also have the Bausch 4 or 5 power. I have a small drawer full of different types too, but hardly any off them are labeled with a name, just the power. I usually grab the Baucah because it's not scratched and in it's own bag. I never noticed a problem...Where I do see what your talking about is in the head sets. I've tried using those and get distortions, unless really high quality.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is that grading services have their people use a 7x power magnifier and study a coin for no more than 5 minutes.
Personally, I have a plastic 2 lens (overlapping) that is 3x and 6x. I also use a plastic 10x lighted (Chinese made that is always with me) and a metal 16x made by Harris. And, for more detail, there's always the digital microscope........it all depends on how much detail you want to see.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Harris 16X is a great loupe and available at any Hobby Lobby!

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer my 10x Bausch and Lomb Hastings triplet. It has been a real good tool for finding errors and varieties as well as checking surface conditions of coins.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cheapo set at hf is the best one i have bought so far. you get a set of loupes.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a plastic foldup 5x, 10x and 15x. I don't know who made it and it is a cheapy but works great. It was acquired after I used pocket change to pay for something at a Convenience Store and left my' nice Bausch & Lomb on the counter at the store.

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a plastic foldup 5x, 10x and 15x. I don't know who made it and it is a cheapy but works great. It was acquired after I used pocket change to pay for something at a Convenience Store and left my' nice Bausch & Lomb on the counter at the store.

Walter Breen used to use a plastic hand magnifier. Looked like it came from a cracker jack box. Imagine the coins that thing had seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread