What is the best metal detector for your buck?

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
For what it is worth.....I have been using a White's Classic Proscan 800 for over 2 years. It is definately on the low end of White detectors. My dad bought it for my 16 year old son for Christmas. He didn't enjoy it, so I tried it. I loved it! I primarily hunt the lake areas where people swim, tot lots & schools, old houses. I have to say, my results are very good. I am very pleased with the jewelry, clad, silver coins and other stuff I find. Frankly, my average finds are 5 inches and up. I am probably missing stuff deeper, but I do so well that....I don't care. I only have so much time to hunt anyway that instead of buying a new detector I consentrate on knowing the machine I have, and following many of the techniques I learned from my dad & seasoned hunters on TNET.

I have found 2 more gold rings to add to my ever growing collection this year. I was going to add a picture, but my last computer has all my pics hostage until I can get it to work. You can go to the "Best of Treasurenet" and see my post "36 RINGS SO FAR THIS YEAR (GOLD AND SILVER)." All this to say, there are many good choices for your first machine. Your success is really going to come from practice and following the advice of people on this forum. Good luck on your choice and happy hunting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say a magnet....... :D

There are to many variables to hit on just one detector for the buck. Depends on where you live, the type hunting you want to do and other considerations.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I just read this entire post, whew!

I MDed with for many years with my dad's old White's DI Pro 6000; it's a great machine and we have found lots of good coins and jewelry with it.

When I went to buy my own recently, I followed the advice on this site and got the Tesoro Silver uMax because I wanted to stay in the $300 range. I couldn't be happier with it. It's light, simple to use, and just flat out finds good stuff. My best find so far is the nice silver crucifix I found at a local elementary school (I posted it in today's finds last month).

I don't think the Silver uMax will disappoint but if it does, the resale is really good on it also. Almost no risk.

Jason

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the best metal detector for your buck?

One that you are willing to take the time to learn.

tompahpe

Nov 18, 2006
Wow what an educational thread for people like me with zero MD experience. Seems finding the *right* unit is more challenging than scoring your first find!

I live in Lawrence, KS...lots of nasty clay here in Douglas County but we've also got loess/silty spots esp. along the Kansas River, glacial till with the possibility of containing any geological goodies occurring between here & Hudson Bay, and patches of relatively clay-free soils in various brown hues ranging beige-ish through near-black.

There's some iron but how much I don't know. Not sure I want to omit iron from my detecting capabilities though since Kansas is such a great meteorite zone...I'm still not clear on whether or not MDs are useful at all pertaining to meteorites so insight from knowledgeable people would be very appreciated!

Mostly I'd be land hunting but it'd be awesome to hit the sand/gravel bars on the river. There'd be the tip-over risk while paddling a kayak/canoe, what units would survive a good soak?

Interested in jewelry, civil war relics, coins...why rule anything out?! Would LOVE to hunt nuggets (ok so I saw one too many Cash & Treasure episodes). Hope to eventually take the MD on road trips with NJ, FL, OK, MO, CO, the Southwest & Baja California being likely destinations.

Totally understand the messages on practice, know your unit, etc., but which rank highest in the user-friendly/no PhD required category?!

What would be in the "bells & whistles" list versus features that provide the most comprehensive relevant details? What models maximize the enjoyment & minimize the frustrations?

My thinking is to ascertain what I'd need to spend instead of pigeon-holing myself into a price bracket that limits me to units I'd use 2-3 times then feel this whole thing was just a bad idea. Would rather wait to get the *right* MD than regret pulling the trigger on the wrong one!

Thx
JK

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tompahpe said:
There's some iron but how much I don't know. Not sure I want to omit iron from my detecting capabilities though since Kansas is such a great meteorite zone...I'm still not clear on whether or not MDs are useful at all pertaining to meteorites so insight from knowledgeable people would be very appreciated!

Thx
JK

Check this link out, detectors are well worth it if your interested in metorities.

http://www.treasurehunting.com/2008/05/08/meteorites-for-metal-detectorists-research-by-request/

dougadam

Sep 15, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Easy money, I agree with you. I never understood why the Ace 250 gets such rave reviews. I mean, it's "ok" for a rogue beginner machine, but will quickly have its *ss kicked by other machines, depending on the hunt site. I hunted side by side with an Ace 250 user, and we found out that if a nail is too close to a good target, the masking is quite pronounced. And yes, you'd get clobbered on the wet salt beach, esp. cinammon colored sand (which is evidence of minerals). There are other more versatile machines, IMHO, that I would reccomend to a person starting out.

What do you suggest?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
dougadam, it depends on what type hunting you want to do, and how much you're willing to spend, how hard-core you want to be, etc.... Just like golf clubs: one is for driving, one is for putting, another for chipping, etc... You need to be more specific on your intentions, and then we/I can give an answer.

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT / White's Surf PI Pro / White's Surfmaster II / White's IDX / White's Classic III
I do not have one but I have seen them in action. Don down at Gettysburg Electronics did a demonstration on the Garrett ACE 250 special kit with the extra coils for like $359. The thing worked like a charm. I am not trading my XLT for it but boy for under $400. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread