What Is The Best Prospecting Equipment You Have Ever Used?

rainwolf75

Nov 9, 2013
NW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am curious as to what you all would find to be some of the best equipment you have used and why it has worked out for you. Now for myself I would have to say the classic gold pans and the new hog pan simply bc of their versatility not to mention you can without any problem carry them anywhere due to their light weight.

Upvote 0

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Angus Mackirk sluice.....

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
My Computer.
It has led me here with all the wealth of knowledge and people willing to help.
Google earth -- Land matters -- LR2000 -- Google Images
And lastly my Garrett snuffer bottle it loves to be fed gold.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a razorback shovel that has found many ounces of gold.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say this little DIY recovery system.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 128

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Question!

1) 1992 Ford Bronco 4x4, Batpan, Eastwing Gad Pry Bar (Geologists pry bar), smallest Gerber folding Shovel, GMT detector, SPOT Messenger, only the Harbor Freight 8000 lb cable hoist/puller (nothing smaller than this capacity), tire chains as boulder Bra's, Lanny's long running post, small sifting devices from Bed Bath & Beyond (drawer organizers made from + 1/16" expanded metal)

2) Why it works for me: Bronco very tight turning radius and it just keeps running, Batpan - all heavies naturally drop right to the bottom/center of the pan, Eastwing - small enough to backpack and it will move some large boulders, Gerber shovel - strong/smallest and lightest shovel I've found to date/well made, GMT - it works in the mineralized Sierra gold country & I've found gold with it, SPOT - saved my life, 8000 lb hoist - keeps right on working while the smaller units Fall Apart!, tire chains -readily wrap around boulders and then the hoist easily moves the boulders, Lanny's Post - self explanatory!, Sifters - small and easy to backpack/sturdy .....................63bkpkr

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Whippet dry washer. Invaluable for desert prospecting in hike in only areas which is pretty much what I am limited to except for my annual pilgrimages to Oregon.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best equipment moves the most material but getting there is the key and my old 46 Willy's started it all and every 4x4 I have bought since has been for mining. Having a truck big enough to tow a tractor and your tromel is the key.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My dog Bailey, she just lays around watching out for me so I can dive alone. So since this thread is about what's the best ya got... how about this:
Never heard of this so I may be the first to ponder how to attach a metal detector off her chest with like a bluetooth communication system and one of those tiny wireless cameras...then just kick back and watch her travel all over the claim. Now that would be a nice piece of equipment!!!!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
like Reed said cant beat a 4X4, but really the most useful piece of gear is my big steel pan.

OP
OP
R

rainwolf75

Nov 9, 2013
NW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These are all very interesting perspectives you all have and has caused me to reconsider and reevaluate not only what to consider "prospecting/mining equipment" but to reconsider the value it has to me. Since doing so I would have to add to my list insulated chest waders, so that I can still go in the winter. However, I would not be honest with myself or ya'll if I were to leave off this list snake boots, which should be self explanatory.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ruger Blackhawk with shot shells for those pesky no legged critters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread