What's new

What is the best way to deal with snarky tellers?

clovis97

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2010
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
632
Golden Thread
0
I stopped into a local bank to see if they had any halves.

I got to chatting with two of the tellers, one of which seemed to be the lead teller. Both tellers were as friendly and as helpful as a could be, and we were having one of those small town type conversations.

I asked, as I was leaving, "Do you happen to have any of the big Eisenhower dollars, by chance?"

The drive up teller...wow...who was not even part of the conversation, blurts out in an unbelievable tone, "Those are worth $18 each AND WE KNOW THAT."

"I'm just talking about those big ones from the 1970's" I politely replied.

"Oh yeah? You're not going to see any of those in here cause they are worth too much. You can get $18 for each one of them at the coin shop."

Basically, she was saying, "I'm on to you, and you are a scammer and a cheat. I am doing my duty to call you out in front of everyone!!!"

It was awkward for a few moments. It's not everyday that some one implies that you are like Bernie Madhoff, trying to steal the investments of an orphanage for babies.

Thoughts, anyone?
 
Upvote 0
I don't know how small of a town you are talking about but I might take a roll of IKES in there and try to get the teller to buy them from you for $5 each so she can turn a profit with the dealer. I think it would turn into a win win for you both. ;D
 
I think, i would have said, "how much will you give me for some, i have never heard of anyone paying that much. There is nothing illegal or immoral about us hunting silver. If there is she is as guilty as any one.
 
I have a few Ikes that I can sell her for the low price of just $10 each :laughing7:
 
Definitely find some clad Ikes and sell them to her!
 
haha ok heres wat u do, u get 18 ikes from coin counters (u know how wen the coin machine doesnt except silver dollars, and so they just spin around on the counting wheel and get all beat up?) then u take 2 nice condition ikes, fill the roll w/ the crappy ikes, put the nice ones on the ends, and try to sell her that roll, maybe $7.00 a pop...hahaha...good luck, keep it up, and hh!
 
I've been laughing all day about these replies.

I have half a mind to go in and offer the drive up teller some of my Ikes.

Thanks so much!

Anyone else have tellers like this???
 
clovis97 said:
I've been laughing all day about these replies.

I have half a mind to go in and offer the drive up teller some of my Ikes.

Thanks so much!

Anyone else have tellers like this???

Not exactly like that... but do have a bank that sold me the whole bag of halves, and saw the older teller standing there with a smirk on her face, complete skunk, I'm sure she searches them.
 
It's not worth it....

Simply move on to the next bank.

This is part of the reason tellers are being nasty to CRHers. When I have a nasty teller I simply tell them "thank you have a nice day" and move along. There are so many banks out there. There are also many other ways to get the elusive Ag, you just have to be creative. Myself, I have eliminated a step in the food chain and my finds have increased.

I do occaisionally search a bank box here and there just to spot check my process.

Happy Hunting
 
WOW, My daughter call those kind of women BEEZOOS(BEE ZO s)And yep I seen a couple myself.
 
Piercesdad said:
It's not worth it....

Simply move on to the next bank.

This is part of the reason tellers are being nasty to CRHers. When I have a nasty teller I simply tell them "thank you have a nice day" and move along. There are so many banks out there. There are also many other ways to get the elusive Ag, you just have to be creative. Myself, I have eliminated a step in the food chain and my finds have increased.

I do occaisionally search a bank box here and there just to spot check my process.

Happy Hunting

This is really how I operate. I live in a growing town, but it is still small. No reason in the world to be short with people. I might be in need of those people some day.

I just stay cheerful and as happy as I can be.

Even though the incident was pretty awkward for a few moments, I could tell by body language that the two nice tellers didn't think much of her, or anything she said.

Age and experience have taught me one valuable lesson: Sometimes the attitude of the drive up teller will back fire on her. While it will probably never happen, I can envision either of the two nicer tellers holding something good back for me because she was 1) so rude to a customer and 2) just to punk her down a little. I've seen it happen in other situations.

I would never rip anyone off anyway. People that know me say that I am honest to a fault.

It has been fun thinking of the drive up teller taking a stack of clad Ikes into a coin shop with the hopes of taking a cruise, or making a few house payments. LOL!!!!
 
CRH is perfectly moral and a good Hobie.
Even the US Mint encourage people to go through bank rolls to find good and collectible coins ( check the US Mint web site).
Probably you find a Teller CRH and did not like you were in his territory.

How many tellers are here in this forum? Any comments from them???

Darth Walker
 
65gt350 said:
I don't know how small of a town you are talking about but I might take a roll of IKES in there and try to get the teller to buy them from you for $5 each so she can turn a profit with the dealer. I think it would turn into a win win for you both. ;D
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:


I guess i have been lucky...everyone i ever dealt with is really cool..but again i do use my kids as pawns in my CRH'ing :thumbsup:
 
Ha ha ha !!!

Like Metal Detecting, you really have no idea what you are going to come across out there...

I don't know if it is any different around the country, but small towns always seem to have the tellers that are the most informed and "never" have anything or have a dozen other people a week come in. One teller chuckled at my son and I when we asked for anything interesting and said that they (ie. She ) things for her own collection when they come and and "good luck getting anything while I am working here". (I have to admit it really annoyed me, but I let it roll off...) We then started to have a little friendly conversation and she started quizing my son about coins and what not. I had to chuckle myself that he answered most of here questions pretty easily. :)

This weekend we picked some silver at a couple banks, but one banks manager told me that they reverse their kennedys for their customers and I was only allowed to purchase a couple rolls. I was polite about it and said "no problem", but maybe I would have opened an account without that type of attitude?

A couple tellers I have come to know are pretty nice about it and have offered silver and older coins that they have noticed.

-Brent
 
I went in the the local BofA last summer and asked if they had any halves. The teller said she had 110 dollars worth. I asked if I could buy them all and she said sure. She brought them out and as she was putting them on the counter she saw that they had writing on them 64-69 Kennedys and Franklins etc. She opened a roll dumped them in her hand solidsilver. She then rerolled it and put it aside. She did it again and put it aside then she took the rest of the rolls and put them up on the counter and said there there's 90 dollars worth. I said Ma'am You said you had 110 dollars worth and I could buy them all. She said that's too bad I need to get rich too. Again I said Ma'am that isn't right. She said tough. I paid for the halves and said thank you and went straight to the manager and told her exactly what happened. She said that isn't right wait here. She went to the teller and took the two rolls of silver from her and brought them too me. Granted I'm screwed when it comes to getting anything from that particular branch but I did win that round and I now use it as a dump bank.
 
get a batch of plain clad (no 40 % er silver) ikes take them to her --offer to sell these "valuible coins" to her at a very "reasonible price" so she can make that "big" money selling them to dealers --moron didn't even know "clad" ikes from 90% silver morgans --seeesshhh

the drive up teller is a "silver blocker"
-- a teller who buys and flips silver * for themselves -- she was saying "ikes" but clearly meant morgans .
 
Ask her how much she is willing to pay for eisenhowers and sell her all you find
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom