Dan

May 18, 2012
Yorktown Heights, NY
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TN!

Okay so I narrowed down(I think) my choices for a new MD. Ace 350, F2, Delta 4000. I wanted something with a display to start. There seems to be a difference in frequency for those devices. 5.9 for F2, 8.25 for 350 and 7.8 for Delta. Am I wrong in saying that higher frequency the more depth? Higher frequency more thrash? I'm a bit confused.

I also have a question about recovery speed or sweep speed. If I don't swing fast enough or swing too fast I will miss objects?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

:BangHead:

Srhoads

Apr 26, 2012
Rantoul, IL
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lower frequency=greater depth at a loss of sensitivity for smaller objects. Gold detectors generally operate at a higher frequency. The 7's and 8's are all around frequency for general detecting. Are you looking for old, coins, or relics?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

May 18, 2012
Yorktown Heights, NY
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm looking for coins, relics and hopefully some rings..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the web board here for NY and see what others in your area are using, different soils react differently to different freqs.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The frequency variation between the detectors you are considering is so little as to make no difference.

Srhoads post is totally correct relating to older detector designs but now careful coil design matched to the circuit of the detector has got round the frequency problem (if you have a good designer involved). So low can now outperform high and vice versa.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Dan, I'm in White Plains. Call me if you want to get together 914-589-3985. Our first club meeting is tonight in White Plains at 630pm at the Porterhouse Bar & Grill on Mamaroneck Ave. You'll be fine with a Garrett Ace 250; Fisher F2; Tesoro Compadre to start off. If you want to try a little hunting with one of my machines we can do that.

I caution you NOT to be steered by me or anyone else. In this hobby, someone is always trying to make money from you, and most of the time you really don't need to spend it. Take your time, and don't let excitement or another hunter's preferences sway you.

Hello TN!

Okay so I narrowed down(I think) my choices for a new MD. Ace 350, F2, Delta 4000. I wanted something with a display to start. There seems to be a difference in frequency for those devices. 5.9 for F2, 8.25 for 350 and 7.8 for Delta. Am I wrong in saying that higher frequency the more depth? Higher frequency more thrash? I'm a bit confused.

I also have a question about recovery speed or sweep speed. If I don't swing fast enough or swing too fast I will miss objects?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

:BangHead:

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

May 18, 2012
Yorktown Heights, NY
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice! Thank you everybody!

I will work within my small budget now. Hopefully joining the club I can get exposed to a slew of machines and in the future invest in a high end machine that I am comfortable with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread