Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
austinjoe said:
THOU SHALL HAVE NO GODS BEFORE ME ;D

TWO LEGS GOOD, FOUR LEGS BAD ::)

;D ;D

Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. That is my 09 saying as well as 08 and 07 and 06 and...... You get the drift.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Shaw - it is ALWAYS easier to get forgiveness than permission. Especially in the great state of Texas.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ThTx said:
I agree with Shaw - it is ALWAYS easier to get forgiveness than permission. Especially in the great state of Texas.

Texas is a greedy state. If they were a bit easier on rules they might have a bit more on display in museums. I know for a fact that there is some amazing Alamo history that Texas does not "own". If they would learn to work with private hunters or amateur historians they may have more. I hate to get on Texas MD laws.

Go stab someone in the belly. You may get harder punishment Mding in certain areas.

They make camo in so many selections these days.

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Thats is so true. Some of the things I have seen from old timers dont compare to some of the ings I have seen in private collections. I think the state should work together with all of us and share what history has left for us to learn.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
In general, if you find an arrowhead, put it in your pocket...it's yours...you can't dig for arrowheads on public land, however that said, if you know someone that owns a piece of property and they give you permission to dig anything that you find is yours also...
Go to austindiggers.com or Texas Cache web page, lots of links for paydigs...I have met and dug with alot of the folks from both and always had a good time.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cooltone23 said:
I think the state should work together with all of us and share what history has left for us to learn.

Cooltones and Shaw are on to the one thing Texas legislators are not - logical! The legislators are also being lazy. The Texas Antiquities Commission is the entity that sets the rules for treasure hunting. The legislature set up the commission and then just turned it over to them. What we need here in Texas is for every detectorist to bug their legislators CONTINUOSLY until they make the changes.

Just my two cents worth.

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Thanks everyone. Haven't been online in a couple of days. I discovered the Indian artifacts column on Tnet. I didn't realize that these arrowheads could be found in so many places here. Never thought to look, until I heard several people talking about finding them just laying on the ground. What a thrill......

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Shaw pretty much hit the nail on the head. Why texas can't pass laws that would encourage MDers so that when items are found there could be an equitable division of the items or something. The laws read that it all belongs to the people of the state, too bad the people will never see 90% of it, as it stays in the ground deteriorating and sinking deeper.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
sqwaby said:
Shaw pretty much hit the nail on the head. Why texas can't pass laws that would encourage MDers so that when items are found there could be an equitable division of the items or something. The laws read that it all belongs to the people of the state, too bad the people will never see 90% of it, as it stays in the ground deteriorating and sinking deeper.

Thanks sqwaby, It just makes way to much sense. That's why they will never do it.

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasnt the Tex Ant Act created out of the infamous treasure by Platoro Limited off Freeport in the ealry 70"s? I dont think it existed before the boys from Indiana or Illinois took what was reported to be over $100 miillion off a sunken galleon. I may be a bit different but I do not think opening everything up to metal detectoring would gain the sate anything. It would all be in private hands and nothing for the state. Maybe the English ahve a better idea. Make it illegal but creat the ability to share it with the government. I would much rather we have it in museums where we can all enjoy it.

Sort of like Clive Cussler, he has found dozens of Texas Wrecks and will not reveal the locations esxcept to the state and they do not have the money to explore them and therefore they do not get explored! Thjere needs to be a vehicle to share the stuff.

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Shaw said:
ThTx said:

Texas is a greedy state. If they were a bit easier on rules they might have a bit more on display in museums. I know for a fact that there is some amazing Alamo history that Texas does not "own". If they would learn to work with private hunters or amateur historians they may have more. I hate to get on Texas MD laws.

Go stab someone in the belly. You may get harder punishment Mding in certain areas.

They make camo in so many selections these days.

J, a little frustrating coming through maybe? LOL...I am NOT related to him...well...not if he stabs someone in the belly!

krwills

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2005
Checkout website: www.protecthehobbynow.com for answers.
Antiquity Code, Federal Law "ARPA of 79" states surface finds are legal to retrieve if not on a designated historical or archeological site this includes and specifically states "arrowheads". Keith Wills

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread