What is the lightest/good detector out there?

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
For "school yards and stuff" (as opposed to hard-core relic hunting, etc...) A Tesoro silver sabre or Garret Ace 250. Neither are power-house depth demons, but 1) the silver sabre sees around iron, and averages targets well, and 2) the 250 has a pleasant "tell-tale" sound for shallow clad type hunting.

K

Kentucky Kache

The White's classics are fairly light, especially the ones with small coils.

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.
I use a Tesoro Silver uMax and its really light. 2.2lbs according to Tesoro.

After a little research, I havent been able to find anything that was that light.
Everything is a good bit more except for the Minelab Xterra 30 which is 2.8lbs.

Function matters here but weight is going to be the deal breaker on most of them I'm afraid.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Fisher F-70 and it is so incredibly light I can swing it all day and I don't even need to switch arms. Its pretty close to a turn and go machine with push button ground balance thats a breeze. The preset is decent for a beginner but when you crank the threshold and sensitivity the depth gets amazing. It does make a lot of chatter as it discriminates.

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Check out the Omega 8000. It is extremely light weight and I am sure your mom wouldn't have a problem using it. It's depth is pretty good but it is more expensive than the Ace 250. You have more control over the omega though and I think she would like it a lot.

I have one and bought it because of 3 shoulder surgeries. I can swing it for a long time without a problem.

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lafatlife said:
Check out the Omega 8000. It is extremely light weight and I am sure your mom wouldn't have a problem using it. It's depth is pretty good but it is more expensive than the Ace 250. You have more control over the omega though and I think she would like it a lot.

I have one and bought it because of 3 shoulder surgeries. I can swing it for a long time without a problem.

Any idea how much it weighs?
I looked for but couldnt find out.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
deathhare said:
For some wild reason (I guess all my cool finds. :) ) my mother is interested in getting a detector and hunting some less wild areas like school yards and stuff.

She wants something light weight and needs a decent detector.

Any suggestions?

Check out the Teknetics Delta 4000......2.3 pounds...very quick on recovery....good performance for the price. I use one in schoolyards and totlots. The screen is large and easy to see, and there isn't a slow response on signals like some other detectors have. :icon_thumright:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About any Tesoro. They are known for lightness and depth. Monty

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Tesoro is the lightest and has a lifetime warrenty

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the Detector Pro Pirate??? The original model has only 2 controls, all the electronics are in the headphones so the only weight is the coil and wand, supposed to be very light. Also is splash proof so she wouldn't have to worry about a light mist or rain.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
The Minelab Xterra machines are super light and have a lot of nice features. The Ace 250 is also not bad.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro is the lightest and good machines also with lifetime warranty. :hello2:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would buy the Tesoro Compadre. Very light weight (2.2 pounds), 1 9 Volt battery, and you can run all day. Great little machine and it has the Tesoro Lifetime warranty.

Hope it helps.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Any Tesoro. The Garrett is lite but has a very irriating bell tone that dings after you pass the target and cant be disabled.

snyper77

Nov 27, 2008
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The Ace 250 is 2.7lbs and is a good detector. Many places will give you about 10 days to try it out and return it if she isn't happy. It's a super simple machine with icons of coins and 3 "ding" tones. Almost everyone on this forum has one (my thought on that is.... because they are so darn good). :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread