What is this button?

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks military to me but I’m not too sure.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1581057555.306304.jpg

Not a fashion button, definitely a pre-WWII Navy officer’s button. Seeing the back, as suggested, would help give a better date range.

Upvote 0
US Navy, as stated. The back will most likely give away the age.

Upvote 0
This was found metal detecting, so the back is pretty toasty. I could try to clean it up a little bit but I’m not sure how much I want to mess with it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Digger Dug is correct, it is a 2nd-half-of-the-20th-century "Fashion" button... but with a twist to its story.

"Current Regulation" US Military buttons are not to be sold for use on civilian clothing. But in 1941, when the US Navy changed its Regulation button emblem by having the eagle's head turned toward the button's left (after about 90 years of being toward the button's right), the pre-1941 version became officially obsolete, and thus usable for civilian clothing. Button-makers like the Waterbury Button Company did not throw away the expensive stamping dies for the obsolete emblem... they kept using those obsolete dies to make Fashion buttons. The two photos below show NoThisIsPatrick's exact button, with its golden-tinted steel rectangular self-shank back, on a La Mode brand sales card for sale at Jo Ann Fabric Stores, about 20 years ago. (You might need to use the click-to-enlarge function to see the self-shank back's rectangular loop in the backview photo of the sales card.)

By the way... the similar "obsolete US Navy emblem" Fashion button at Etsy (posted above by Diggin' History) has a simple iron/steel back with a typical wire loop. It was made sometime between 1942 and the mid-1950s, a few years before the rectangular-loop self-shank back became widely manufactured.

Attachments

• button_navy_civilian-imitation_20th-century_LaMode-Fashion-button_Ebay_frontview.jpg
    button_navy_civilian-imitation_20th-century_LaMode-Fashion-button_Ebay_frontview.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 35
  • button_navy_civilian-imitation_20th-century_LaMode-Fashion-button_Ebay_rearview.jpg
    button_navy_civilian-imitation_20th-century_LaMode-Fashion-button_Ebay_rearview.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indeed, I’m eating my words on that one! :tongue3:
I should have waited to see the back before sounding so sure.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys! Still a cool find either way!

Yes it is!

I can't believe that I was so involved that I missed the square-loop shank. Glad TheCannonballGuy caught it.

Cheers.
-DH-

Upvote 0
I didnt even see digger_dugs post until now. Great ID and great explanation CBG

What did you see that pointed toward a fashion button digger_dug? Just curious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indeed, I’m eating my words on that one! :tongue3:
I should have waited to see the back before sounding so sure.

Without seeing the backside, your post was right on. You even asked to see the backside. You were making the most likely correct ID with what you had to work with.

Upvote 0
Complete EDIT of my original post:

I guess I completely missed the boat on this one. I was so involved in trying to "solve" it that I over-looked a couple of posts. So I will give credit where credit is due... <<<<===== Me backtracking... I apologize for my oversight on this and a big THANK YOU to ALL who helped.

I hope that "fixes" things.

Cheers.
-DH-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Proper ID, team work, and civility. Well done Tnet!

Love this forum!

Upvote 0
Sorry... I didn't miss your post...
The first person to get it right deserves the credit, and Digger Dug was first on the correct ID, I just didn't see his comment thats why I deleted my comment in embarrassment lol. Its cool. Yep no steel backs were used on US Navy buttons as far as I know. I used to have that self shank patent, or a similar one, its 1950ish as CBG explained but I cant find it

button_self-shank-back_20th-century=sportcoat_Ebay.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first person to get it right deserves the credit, and Digger Dug was first on the correct ID, I just didn't see his comment thats why I deleted my comment in embarrassment lol. Its cool. Yep no steel backs were used on US Navy buttons as far as I know. I used to have that self shank patent, or a similar one, its 1950ish as CBG explained but I cant find it

View attachment 1802001

I did a complete redo on my post.
-DH-

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back