What's new

What is this? Found at Lewes De Beach

BADGUYSKI

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 30, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Hazleton Pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is this thing I found today at the beach in Lewes De (Lewes Yacht Club), I was picking glass and pottery pieces and this caught my eye. Its about the width of a quarter and as thick as my thumb.
 

Attachments

  • find1.webp
    find1.webp
    157.6 KB · Views: 227
  • find2.webp
    find2.webp
    227.8 KB · Views: 270
  • find3.webp
    find3.webp
    184 KB · Views: 210
Upvote 2
Fossil of something.
 
I think you got it KeyaPaha....cool!
 
Looks like a fossilized fungus
 
Looks like a fossilized fungus
Hey my mom is from Nova Scotia (actually Petite Forte and then St Johns Newfoundland), know any Wakeham's up there?
 
Last edited:
Here is a Jetton my wife found on the same beach 2 years ago

About 200 ft from the parking area behind the Lewes Yacht Club
 

Attachments

  • jetton.webp
    jetton.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 179
What is this thing I found today at the beach in Lewes De (Lewes Yacht Club), I was picking glass and pottery pieces and this caught my eye. Its about the width of a quarter and as thick as my thumb.
==============================================================
To me this looks like a full section of a CRINOID stem.
I have found, in my area solid "mudstone" layers totally filled with very small ones all broken up.
 
Here is an anemone from modern times

I think you got it KeyaPaha....cool!
Edit:
knock off the soft tentacles and it's a real close match....good eye.
 

Attachments

  • Sea_anemone_in_tidepools.webp
    Sea_anemone_in_tidepools.webp
    769.2 KB · Views: 184
==============================================================
To me this looks like a full section of a CRINOID stem.
I have found, in my area solid "mudstone" layers totally filled with very small ones all broken up.

I was researching your crinoid stem...i threw one back in the ocean the same day...lol I thought it was a sand encrusted vertebrae, cripes...oh well i'll be back there in a month as my daughter lives 2 miles from lewes beach
 
Last edited:
On my fossil forum almost everyone said it is a fossil horn coral, I checked some pics and I think thats what it is...thanks all!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom