🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is this gorgeous hunk of green

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hi all! I found this beauty in oklahoma, by a lake, near a quarry, but also by a highway. Seriusly could have bounced off a truck?! I've gotten suggestions of aventurine or amozonite....a steel nail just leaves a streak that I can rub off, so its pretty hard? I really really want it
20230412_172432.jpg
to have come out of the hillsides around, but 20 years of walking with my eyes to the ground, ive not even found a chip of anything similar.
received_951444632532358.jpeg
20230412_172607.jpg

So, can anyone say what this beauty might be? And if its agreed it fell off some truck, im imagining a trailer with a load stacked for landscapeing or building lost a brick? Thanks for any answers or guesses. ~naturegirl
20230412_172356.jpg

Boghog1

Apr 24, 2023
NH
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex
Past: Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Maybe beryl?

ETA Google says Amazonite. a location where found could help narrow it down

Upvote 0
OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Maybe beryl?

ETA Google says Amazonite. a location where found could help narrow it down
Im sorry, osage county, oklahoma. Kinda where the limestone formations give way to sandstone formations...i dont know all the right terminology. The nearby quarry was for sandstone, but Ive not been to it. Its on the otherside of the hilltop. Also, a small lake dam was built in this same 1/2 mile radious...so lots of rock busting and earth moving...

Upvote 1

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not Amanzonite. Amanzonite is a green colored feldspar. Feldspar does not break like that.

Considering the hardness and the fracture surface it looks to be a greenish chalcedony. That particular color is usually referred to as "seafoam" and is often classified as an agate. I know of some seafoam agate from Washington State that is almost identical to your pictures.

I think it's safe to say it is not a rock native to Oklahoma. :thumbsup:

Upvote 5
OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Not Amanzonite. Amanzonite is a green colored feldspar. Feldspar does not break like that.

Considering the hardness and the fracture surface it looks to be a greenish chalcedony. That particular color is usually referred to as "seafoam" and is often classified as an agate. I know of some seafoam agate from Washington State that is almost identical to your pictures.

I think it's safe to say it is not a rock native to Oklahoma. :thumbsup:
Oh thank you! This is the most definitive answer ive had..i dont care how it ended up where i found it..its just beautiful wherever it came from thank you!!

Upvote 2

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking Fuss is on the right track. Looks too coarse-grained to be a chalcedony. More likely a metamorphic of some sort.
Jim

Upvote 1

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
99.99% certain that is Green Adventurine which is Quartzite (metamorphic rock) with Fuchsite Mica (mineral). I have a fair amount of it, its commonly used as a decorative landscape and Lapidary stone.
It's only Adventurine if it has sparkles in it. (mica, hematite ) No sparkles and it's just common quartzsite.

I'm not seeing any sparkles. Maybe naturegirl can tell us if there appears to be mica included in the rock.

Upvote 0

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any chance of it being orthoclase??? possibly Amazonite???

Well…it looks like someone already said that it looks like amazonite…

Oh well…

Good luck…

Ed T

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
99.99% certain that is Green Adventurine which is Quartzite (metamorphic rock) with Fuchsite Mica (mineral). I have a fair amount of it, its commonly used as a decorative landscape and Lapidary stone.
Landscaping! That is the use i was wondering about, because its so large. Not from oklahoma, whew, i can quit trying to find more, quite a treasure for a poor girl, and quite frankly, the Gods must be crazy or Providence threw a rock at me....thanks for answering, was hoping someone with lapidary expetience might chime in...lisa

Upvote 0
OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
How large should the mica be? It doesnt look like it has any suspended inside...just going by the polished pieces of aventurine i see online. And its more bluish in person. Maybe I can some macro pics.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread