IMG_20200502_183710.jpg

OP
OP
S

Supriya

May 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok i will post you soon the info related of this bottle, and i found it from my vintage collection box of east india company time!

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting any markings on the bottom

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I suggest better quality and more pictures , plus some info on the find.

where did it come from ? was it buried or found in a building? or maybe even a yard sale.

A lack of info will often yield poor results in your quest for relic identification

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have an old rum bottle, but it’s no earlier than 1954.

In 1855 a Scotsman named Edward Abraham Dyer set up a brewery in Kasauli in India to supply British troops stationed there with cheap beer. Later the company changed hands and became a distillery called Meakin Pvt. Ltd. If the bottle you have has an 1855 date then that’s the establishment date for the company, not necessarily the date for the bottle or its contents.

If the bottle also says “Old Monk” then that’s what tells us it’s a rum bottle and gives us the actual date. In 1954, the company began making an aromatic rum from Indian sugar cane under the “Old Monk” brand and it became India’s most popular spirit drink. It’s still made today in Ghaziabad.

The bottles have traditionally had a ‘crazed’ pattern moulded into the glass, like this:

Old Monk.jpg

Today’s bottles are clear, but if yours is coloured glass it’s probably from the early period, but still no earlier than 1954.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally... a proper picture! Yes, that's definitely an Old Monk Indian rum bottle and not earlier than 1954. Not rare unfortunately... it was a huge-selling product in its day, although now in decline.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread