✅ SOLVED What is this old photo all about?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Could it be the Lincoln Funeral Train? I have no idea where it was taken.
s-l1600.png

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh....the guy right up front looks like Lincoln !! Top hat and all !!

Upvote 1

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Railroads were so important in those days. They could literally make or break a town, just by what route they chose when laying tracks. I can imagine a lot of celebrations for railroad-related dedications. I’m sure they drew big crowds. It would be entertainment and a chance to socialize as well.

Upvote 5
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
for the most part they seem to be couples , a few embraced . a few single guys and no children that I can see .
Good observation. :icon_thumleft: In looking at it closely, I only see one child with the couple standing sort of to the right of the train.
Train and people 2.jpg

Upvote 1

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 guys behind "Lincoln" are the clue🤔 Their stance and distance between others🤔

Upvote 0

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I am going to guess that “Lincoln” is the mayor. The guy behind him to our left is a railroad employee dressed like a conductor. The other behind to our right has no bill on his cap. He appears to have on a traditional railroad coat. Possibly the fireman to keep the train running. I’d rule Lincoln out as the engineer. He has a hat of someone with more authority and means. Also, he appears to be quite older than I’d expect from a working engineer, but not fancy enough to make me think railroad owner. Of course I could be full of baloney!

Upvote 2

p07

Mar 3, 2023
Here's what I think it might be: https://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/2012/03/13/hanging-bridge-an-engineering-marvel-of-1878/
It might be a construction of the hanging bridge (a railroad in Colorado) around the late 1870s? The photograph was probably taken in Colorado near Cañon City. Apparently, the railroad was planned for convenient path to mining camps through the narrow canyon.
I found a photo that might of been taken around the same spot probably about 30 years later.
Cool picture, but I don't think it's Lincoln Funeral Train.
Thanks for sharing

Attachments

• h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Upvote 2

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe this is the Denver & Rio Grande Bridge bridge in The Royal Gorge, Canon City. CO
As to hat is happening ???

Upvote 7

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this is the Denver & Rio Grande Bridge bridge in The Royal Gorge, Canon City. CO
As to hat is happening ???
I think you're right. Maybe a celebration over the completion of line through the canyon? Things like that were celebrated throughout the expansion of the early railroads finally arriving to your town. It meant quite a lot to townspeople in those days to witness the day your town is now connected to the rest of the country. I once lived on that line that back then freight trains went up and over Tennessee pass through the upper Arkansas valley. Now the train only runs tourists through the Royal Gorge. Though within the last couple years a rock quarry at Parkdale has again filled a need for freight to again run that far up the valley, but that's as far as it goes.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread