What's new

What is this???

ALABEAR

Full Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bridgeport, Alabama
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD and some TESORO'S
I find these in just about every Civil War camp I hunt in. It looks modern, but I always find them. Thanks Jerry
 

Attachments

  • don\'t%20know%20001.webp
    don\'t%20know%20001.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 917
  • don\'t%20know%20002.webp
    don\'t%20know%20002.webp
    48 KB · Views: 907
  • don\'t%20know%20001.webp
    don\'t%20know%20001.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 909
  • don\'t%20know%20002.webp
    don\'t%20know%20002.webp
    48 KB · Views: 916
salt box pull out spout
 
Upvote 0
S IL THer said:
salt box pull out spout

I have found these items too and always wondered what they were.
 
Upvote 0
So... a CW pulltab ;D

Mike
 
Upvote 0
You've got to be kiddib me! I find these things everywhere and every time I do I ask myself " what is thing...again!" I keep meaning to post it but never did...HA!
 
Upvote 0
I had to laugh when I saw this. I couldn't believe that anyone didn't know what this was. Almost instantly I remembered there was a day when what these were drove me insane. I guess that's what is wrong with me now.
Mitch
 
Upvote 0
Makes sense
but............
the metal bar / bracket?
I m not sure modern version use a metal bar
Maybe I'm wrong
Great what is is it
Brady
 
Upvote 0
I'm still a bit puzzled :icon_scratch:
I take it that everyone else is agreeing it's a 'salt box pull out spout'.
I have never seen one before. Anyone have a pic of the spout on a box?
Why are they common to CW camps - from the canteen area? Are they CW era or are they contemporary?
Was the salt for the table, the slugs or the icy roads?
Your info appreciated :headbang:
Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
Nice pic Rando. I searched but couldnt find one. I did find this... :D

butterpin-.webp
​

http://www.ehow.com/how_5473403_make-pin-salt-box-spout.html


Dont forget they used to salt backsides of hides and salt was used for meat preservation before refridgeration. Maybe thats why you find so many. I dont know how old the aluminum ones are. I remember hearing about oldtimers salting gator hides.
 
Upvote 0
How to Make a Butterfly Pin with a Salt Box Spout
Things You'll Need:
acrylic craft paints
metal pour spout
pin back
E6000 glue
pliers

Remove the spout from the box. Try to keep the little wire in place. Use jewelry pliers or other pliers to mash down the little tab holding the wire. This will be the butterflies antennae. There are two small tabs on the corners of the "wings'. You can bend these down.

Step 2Apply a base coat of white craft paint. When that has dried , paint on a coat of bright yellow or what ever color you have chosen.
After the yellow dries , paint on the outlines and spots using black craft paint. make two black dots at the bottom of the antennae so it looks like two eyes, or you can glue on 2 small googly eyes.

Step 3When the entire butterfly is completely dry, apply a light coat of spray varnish or lacquer.
Use the E6000 glue or a similar glue to attach the pin back to the back of the brooch.
 

Attachments

  • butterpin-main_Full.webp
    butterpin-main_Full.webp
    5.1 KB · Views: 533
Upvote 0
Looks like the same butterfly. ??? :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Can we keep guessing even though it is already solved?
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone :icon_thumleft: for educating me as I requested :icon_pirat:
The Monarch Butterfly on the Tab is a cool idea :headbang:
I am presuming, the Burger King reference came about because my new mate skypirate thought my avatar resembled The Burger King
He was/is wrong ;D
Mike
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
Thanks everyone :icon_thumleft: for educating me as I requested :icon_pirat:
The Monarch Butterfly on the Tab is a cool idea :headbang:
I am presuming, the Burger King reference came about because my new mate skypirate thought my avatar resembled The Burger King
He was/is wrong ;D
Mike
what does it resemble ?
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
12
Views
857
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Two What's Its
Replies
10
Views
635
Replies
9
Views
1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom