What's new

What is this?

southerngrwn

Greenie
Joined
Jul 6, 2012
Messages
18
Reaction score
69
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Vintage Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m trying to get this identified for a friend. He said he found it in a swamp near a railroad. I know I’ve seen something like it before but can’t figure it out. It’s solid brass. I know it’s nothing special but he’s new to detecting and super excited about finding it.
 

Attachments

  • B1A7F4DB-26D9-4252-B63B-2D24694EBDE8.webp
    B1A7F4DB-26D9-4252-B63B-2D24694EBDE8.webp
    511.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 679CA909-D1AC-437B-84E1-D9078B87C7B5.webp
    679CA909-D1AC-437B-84E1-D9078B87C7B5.webp
    285.5 KB · Views: 119
  • DF3FDA54-4475-405C-AED4-93F4E965AADE.webp
    DF3FDA54-4475-405C-AED4-93F4E965AADE.webp
    337.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Looks like some kinda crank. No idea...
 
Upvote 0
The rod with the gears makes me think it's part of an oil lamp. The gears raise and lower the wick. Gary
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it's oil lamp related, it's construction is far too heavy for that.
Looks like it was originally round, so maybe a type of hose clamp from an old coal or steam locomotive? :icon_scratch:

Dave
 

Attachments

  • unnamed.webp
    unnamed.webp
    47.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 21823672010_62206b9470_b.webp
    21823672010_62206b9470_b.webp
    47.7 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0
:icon_thumright: Could be Dave .. I was thinking along the lines of any emergency pipe clamp, too!
 
Upvote 0
The rod with the gears makes me think it's part of an oil lamp. The gears raise and lower the wick. Gary

I agree and the *crank is actually bent. Could be a signal lamp or one of those lamps on the front of a steam train?

chub
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was thinking oil lamp as well but the shape of it didn’t seem right for that.
 
Upvote 0
The stem has a gear on it and at the top you see another gear. in my mind it is a wind up motor . maybe for a toy , clock or music box.
40 years in the trades I can assure you it's not a pipe clamp or plumbing related in any way.

the clue is in those gears, between them you see rivets . those are holding more gears for reduction or the spring "motor".
 
Upvote 0
The star gears are are usually for wick adjustment. Maybe for a type of smudge pot?
The rod with the gears makes me think it's part of an oil lamp. The gears raise and lower the wick. Gary
 
Upvote 0
Sure it could be from a lamp, I've dug my share but none like that.
but there's a whole lot I've never seen or dug. that's what makes the "WHAT IS IT " forum my favorite.
always something new on here
 
Upvote 0
Why doen't anyone think it is a simple automobile hose clamp?
 
Upvote 0
Why doen't anyone think it is a simple automobile hose clamp?

because we know it's not a hose clamp. this is a hose clamp which looks nothing like the pic shown above.
2Q==
images
I'm wrong on my guesses pretty often too but it's still fun to try.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with Tony in SC about the star gear for wicks. The other gears are puzzling and one idea I have is a single control for a double wick lamp, so you could turn one knob but adjust two wicks.
It might be helpful to see pictures of the ends of the item.

Lamp.webp
 
Upvote 0
Those two other rivets obviously carried over the remaining two gears, what’s got me is the two spur gears. Can’t figure those out. Hell I can’t even figure out the whole dang thing, but what I can say is it doesn’t look anything like double or single oil wick adjusters I’ve dug in the past. It does look like some sort of early clamp. I know it’s no modern clamp at all, especially those cheesy ones for automotive purposes, because those break far too easy. The one here looks like it stays in place via the gears, maybe some sort of catch kept the gears locked in for tightness Adjustments.webp
 
Upvote 0
Here are a few more pics of the end of it.
 

Attachments

  • 65484C9B-486C-44A8-B394-522FD10389B6.webp
    65484C9B-486C-44A8-B394-522FD10389B6.webp
    224.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 45115033-FCCB-4092-AA1C-669ECDEF7090.webp
    45115033-FCCB-4092-AA1C-669ECDEF7090.webp
    207.8 KB · Views: 59
  • F5C02990-DF46-4D9A-B4E3-F226B1272EA7.webp
    F5C02990-DF46-4D9A-B4E3-F226B1272EA7.webp
    229.8 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure it's a lamp wick mechanism as some others have suggested. At least, it would certainly work well as one.

Pardon my lack of artistic talent, but if each of the rivets did have an idler gear, it would cause shafts on either end to turn in opposite directions, which is what you would need if one knob was driving both shafts to extend a wick. It looks like those star-shaped spurs would grab the wick to drive it upwards. It's hard to tell because of the smushedness (technical term) but it looks like there was a cutout allowing for the shaft to go inside the otherwise round housing so the spurs could bite into the wicks. It's all just speculation, but it certainly could have worked that way. All the right components are there.

Lamp Wick Mechanism.webp
 
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure it's a lamp wick mechanism as some others have suggested. At least, it would certainly work well as one.

Pardon my lack of artistic talent, but if each of the rivets did have an idler gear, it would cause shafts on either end to turn in opposite directions, which is what you would need if one knob was driving both shafts to extend a wick. It looks like those star-shaped spurs would grab the wick to drive it upwards. It's hard to tell because of the smushedness (technical term) but it looks like there was a cutout allowing for the shaft to go inside the otherwise round housing so the spurs could bite into the wicks. It's all just speculation, but it certainly could have worked that way. All the right components are there.

View attachment 1807315

You did well explaining that and with illustrations. Thanks for the technical term too I am always trying to broaden my knowledgableness.
BTW I did learn the correct term is "star wheels" for the star shaped part.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom