What's new

What is this?

creskol

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
23,351
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Other
DirtGuy found this in a cornfield.

"First thought it was a cleaner bullet, but I am stumped.
The plug on right is the top part and looks to be soft lead.
The bottom looks to be plated zinc or brass.
Looking down into top there appears to be a pin of some sort in the middle.
Here is a couple pics."
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 7.07.59 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 7.07.59 PM.webp
    184.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 7.08.19 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 7.08.19 PM.webp
    196 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
creskol, does the bottom of the bottom part look like it was meant to hook onto something or get depressed?
 
Upvote 0
Wow, that's a really nice treasure you found.
 
Upvote 0
Context is wrong....But pressure cookers had/have still? A soft plug that will fail if over pressured.

I don't know if steam powered equipment did.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
creskol, does the bottom of the bottom part look like it was meant to hook onto something or get depressed?

The bottom is fixed in place, but the construction of it does lend itself to the idea of being hooked into something.
 
Upvote 0
Window crank knob ?
 
Upvote 0
There should be a category [STUMPED]. I can't figure out what this was used for, but find it odd that the soft lead plug looks to be in good condition while the open end of the bottom is bent. Again context might shed some light. What other artifacts did you find in the area? Was there an old home or farm building once there. etc.
 
Upvote 0
it reminds me of a concrete anchor . images.webp
 
Upvote 0
I think it may be the end off an older version of a Bussman fuse.

1A698_AS01.webp
 
Upvote 0
the shape is close but have you ever seen a lead fuse ? I haven't.
looking back at the op I don't even see the description as lead . am I loosing it or was that idea dropped?
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
the shape is close but have you ever seen a lead fuse ? I haven't.
looking back at the op I don't even see the description as lead . am I loosing it or was that idea dropped?

"Plug" is quoted as looks to be soft lead.
We'd need a cross section of the era's Buss fuse to see the weak point it burns through at.
Been too long since I tore one apart, and it was not a real old one.
 
Upvote 0
the shape is close but have you ever seen a lead fuse ? I haven't.
looking back at the op I don't even see the description as lead . am I loosing it or was that idea dropped?

The little plug on the right was soft. Not the main object.

The bottom looks to be plated zinc or brass.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom