What is this?

Randall0123

Apr 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went metal detecting on a friends civil war property in Virginia and found this. Curious what it is and if anyone know how I can find out what it is. Still very new to this and unsure how to identify things and what are good places to look. Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_0577.JPG

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might help to try and post a pic of the back side as well, it is interesting though

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Randall0123! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from TODAY'S FINDS! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Toronto and to the amazing hobby of detecting. :wave:
If you could tell us what type of metal it is (if it is metal) and a pic of the back would help.
Dave

As far as good places to metal detect...

Farmers' Fields - Farmers are usually willing to give permission to hunt their fields once the crop is off. Even though your finds will generally be less in quantity, they should yield higher quality.

Construction Sites
- Anytime dirt is being moved around, it opens the opportunity for you to explore what may have been previously unreachable. Old houses and buildings that are being torn down are also great spots.

Recheck the Hole - It has been said, the best place to find treasure is where it's been found before.
You might be surprised at the number of coins or relics that are in the hole you just dug, so take a few minutes and recheck the entire hole, and the plug of dirt you've set aside. You might also consider using a pinpointer.

The Sidewalk Strip - The grassy area between the sidewalk and the street is commonly overlooked.
Many times, these areas have never been hunted, and have been walked past for years.

Your Own Backyard! Dig a pull-tab and then do this in your backyard. Dig a hole. Put your quarter in. Cover the quarter with an inch of dirt. Put the pull-tab over the quarter. Cover the hole. Read what your detector reads. There's a good reason to dig pull-tabs

Here’s a unique idea

One effective way of gaining access to various properties to be searched for coins is to place a free ad on Kijiji or try a small ad in your local newspaper.
Placing ads that offer to find lost items can "open many doors" and provide a long line of metal detecting projects for you!

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's intertwined initials. Often maddening to decipher... Yours is some combination of B S M.

initials.jpg

Upvote 0

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's intertwined initials. Often maddening to decipher... Yours is some combination of B S M.

View attachment 1921891

Although I think DCMatt is on the right track, to unnecessarily confound things further, when I isolated the inscription as below, google seems to think it's an Asian language of some kind. So, yeah, a picture without a glare, context on where you found it, etc, would be helpful!

int1.jpg

Attachments

• int1.jpg
    int1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although I think DCMatt is on the right track, to unnecessarily confound things further, when I isolated the inscription as below, google seems to think it's an Asian language of some kind. So, yeah, a picture without a glare, context on where you found it, etc, would be helpful!

DW - I actually read some Japanese. Not a lot, but enough to know this is NOT a Kanji character. I will stand by my initial assessment. M B S or some combination of those 3 letters.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Matt. Some combo of BSM but I wouldn't have seen it without him pointing it out. BSMC.jpg

Upvote 0

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DW - I actually read some Japanese. Not a lot, but enough to know this is NOT a Kanji character. I will stand by my initial assessment. M B S or some combination of those 3 letters.

To be clear, I wasn't doubting those skillz! I was really just alluding to the fact that without more data, it's a crapshoot.But I think your direction is spot on

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To be clear, I wasn't doubting those skillz! I was really just alluding to the fact that without more data, it's a crapshoot.But I think your direction is spot on

Nothing against your assessment. It's all good. We're brainstorming here. No idea is a bad one (ok, almost no idea is a bad one... ). Many of the ID's on here are a team effort. That's one of the things I love about this forum. Nobody gives a fuzzy rat's tail about who figures it out as long as we figure it out.

My point is, if we can eliminate a path of research, we should - just to keep someone from wasting their time running down a dead end.

In this case, I assure you it is NOT an Asian language character.

Upvote 0

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think we've long since scared this newcomer away, but in searching for something else today, I came across the way these "love tokens" were done and it reminded me of this post.

Picture1.png

Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 1921891

There is an alphabetical list on wikipedia under ' List of defunct military academies in the United States' with a couple of possibilities under 'B'. If it's even military, who knows. I did not check functioning military schools. Off to work. HH

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Randall0123

Apr 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow this is awesome. I’m sorry for taking so long to respond.

I never would have seen the letters. So what would that be? Like a door sign? Just interested in when it was made and who it was.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions