What is this?

Randall0123

Apr 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went metal detecting on a friends civil war property in Virginia and found this. Curious what it is and if anyone know how I can find out what it is. Still very new to this and unsure how to identify things and what are good places to look. Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_0577.JPG

Last edited:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow this is awesome. I’m sorry for taking so long to respond.

I never would have seen the letters. So what would that be? Like a door sign? Just interested in when it was made and who it was.

A picture of the other side of the item might help with an ID.

At first I thought it was a belt buckle. but it seems too large for that,

Intertwined initials like that were popular in the late 19th - early 20th C.

Upvote 0

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK I'm pretty sure I know what this is! I saw this post a while back and took me some time to find it again. I think this is a decoration off an old wood stove like the one pictured here. PXL_20210524_183010774.jpg PXL_20210524_183005353.jpg

This wood stove came out of my friends house and when he moved in it was the only source of heat and hot water, yes! it has a built in hot water heater! sadly it sat out in the elements so long it's rusted through in many places.

EDIT: search BSM antique wood stove and you can find someone selling trivets like the ones pictured here with your monogram on them! Can anyone find out what BSM stands for?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK I'm pretty sure I know what this is! I saw this post a while back and took me some time to find it again. I think this is a decoration off an old wood stove like the one pictured here.
attachment.php
attachment.php

This wood stove came out of my friends house and when he moved in it was the only source of heat and hot water, yes! it has a built in hot water heater! sadly it sat out in the elements so long it's rusted through in many places.

EDIT: search BSM antique wood stove and you can find someone selling trivets like the ones pictured here with your monogram on them! Can anyone find out what BSM stands for?

Winner winner!

It's from the door of a South Bend Malleable cook stove. S B M

attachment.php

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! I didn't try the other permutations of the initials! I really hate that old style of intertwined letters.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread