What is your favorite pinpointer?

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
VP-580 .. by far... bar none.
Gotten others for free... tried almost all of em... still 580 reigns king to /for me.
I’ve never even heard of a VP-580 pin pointer. Can you post a pic of one?

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
I just picked up a Quest X pointer Max a few days ago and I am really liking it a lot, I also have my original Garrett Pro Pointer that I purchased in 2009, the Nokt/Macro Pulse Dive and the Fisher F Pulse I like the X pointer max the best so far it is probably the Loudest pin pointer I have ever heard also, very very sensitive also
I’ve heard mixed reviews on it.
What I do like about it is that it can tell you if its a ferrous or non ferrous item.
That would come in handy if there is a lot of iron mixed in the plug.

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to be a Garrett.
Now it's the Fisher F-Pulse.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve never even heard of a VP-580 pin pointer. Can you post a pic of one?
download.jpg

VP570multi_1_-690x315 (1).jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 5 different pin pointers at this point. The Mi6 from XP is my current favorite. Rechargeable, you can pair it with the Deus 2, Mostly tip sensitive, waterproof, and good depth. Has light, vibration, and/or sound.

bucksport

Oct 26, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
White’s Classic ID, SL III, SL II, coinmaster classic III, Treasure Master. Land Ranger Pro, Time Ranger, Tracker IV, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used this pinpointer for almost 20 years. Very solid machine. It detects with the tip only. It saves time in my opinion.
I have watched so many people use other pin pointers and take forever because of the side scan!

Tilt up to turn on, tilt up again to turn off. After 1 minute of non use it will auto turn off. Vibrate only. I just ordered the 585 model.
Just my opinion from using it for many years.

bucksport

Oct 26, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
White’s Classic ID, SL III, SL II, coinmaster classic III, Treasure Master. Land Ranger Pro, Time Ranger, Tracker IV, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like a fancy digging screwdriver.
It is a solid machine that has been around for a while.

It was around long before Garret made pinpointers.

Reactions: ARC

bucksport

Oct 26, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used this pinpointer for almost 20 years. Very solid machine. It detects with the tip only. It saves time in my opinion.
I have watched so many people use other pin pointers and take forever because of the side scan!

Tilt up to turn on, tilt up again to turn off. After 1 minute of non use it will auto turn off. Vibrate only. I just ordered the 585 model.
Just my opinion from using it for many years.
Same here... i bought my first one when i first heard of em...
The only reason i had to get a second one is because i lost the first. heh
IMO... there is no better.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best part is the vibrate only deal...
One i hate beeps... deet's rather... and especially out loud... and settings... BAH ! ! ! ...ITS A pinpointer.... NOT a detector ! !
I want it and need it to do one thing only.... LOCATE it.... That's it... you can keep all those "bells and whistles".
Vibration is easier than audible as well ... more precise and interpreted better.
And you could run it over with a truck (both tires) and then turn it on and go back to using it.
throw it in the swimming pool for a week and then dive in and turn it on and detect the bottom for giggles.
Lose it in the ocean... someone else will find it a month later 100 miles away... turn it on and use it.

Comparing against other pippointers its "Tool VS toy"

Last edited:

bucksport

Oct 26, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best part is the vibrate only deal...
One i hate beeps... deet's rather... and especially out loud... and settings... BAH ! ! ! ...ITS A pinpointer.... NOT a detector ! !
I want it and need it to do one thing only.... LOCATE it.... That's it... you can keep all those "bells and whistles".
Vibration is easier than audible as well ... more precise and interpreted better.
And you could run it over with a truck (both tires) and then turn it on and go back to using it.

Comparing against other pippointers its "Tool VS toy"
Yes indeed! If you can't bring that target down to an inch diameter with your machine.....you need to do better!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed! If you can't bring that target down to an inch diameter with your machine.....you need to do better!
Agreed... i carry the VP-580... but use it very little ... I TRY to never use it... that is and always been the goal in each hit /target.
Sheesh... i mean... who wants to bend down / over :)

But then there is that stubborn little doo-dad that drives you into stoop mode.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went to their page to check out what if anything was new and for more info to post and saw this... ... this alone would make me lean toward this pointer.

"In addition, our pinpointers detect at the tip and not along the sides of the shaft, as other models do, so they 'really' pinpoint the target. As you get closer to the target the number of pulses of vibration will increase in quantity telling you how close the target is from the tip of the detector. This type of tip only detection allows precision pinpointing."

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
went to their page to check out what if anything was new and for more info to post and saw this... ... this alone would make me lean toward this pointer.

"In addition, our pinpointers detect at the tip and not along the sides of the shaft, as other models do, so they 'really' pinpoint the target. As you get closer to the target the number of pulses of vibration will increase in quantity telling you how close the target is from the tip of the detector. This type of tip only detection allows precision pinpointing."
AND minimal disturbing of the ground. That keeps everyone the happiest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread