What is your favorite tool to find old houses?

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the Mercedes of course thousands of them around here just drive up and ask for permission and start hunting

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently used Google earth to find black beards old house.

It was very accentuate in this case had to go down a long logging road and walk through the woods about a half mile
found what I saw in Google earth.

You can also go back in time with Google earth

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will canvass neighborhoods, looking for folks doing yardwork, washing their car, etc... some houses that I really drool over I will look up on Zillow. Really all I am looking up is to see the year built, and sometimes my curiosity will lead me to find out who they are, and how long they've lived there, but that is info that I would never admit to knowing about to potential permissions. Too personal, and kinda creepy.... really, all I want to do is play in he dirt.

....and I am gonna keep what I find:hello:

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive received a lot of info just talking to the older folks who live around here. I also use all the old maps online I can and then use google earth to map thenm out. I keep a record on google earth of all my finds, properties Ive searched, who I talked to, and places I want to go. ITs very handy to look on the map, click the pin and find out the name of the person who gave me permission toh unt a year ago and what days I hunted and what I found. But, talking to people has helped a ton. The two acre pasture I have found most of my silver at was the site of an old school house. From what I found online, the school was across the street, but an older gentleman stopped and I talked to him a while and he said "No, the school house was on this corner of that small lot, I know I went to school there 70 years ago". That information helped me a lot.

I use several different online resources from sanborn maps to historical sites. Ive received a lot of information searching "***** county history" Most counties have online pages touting the history of the county from where the first schools were to the sites of the older houses. Ive probably spent the same amount of hours researching as I have actually detecting.

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NETR Online • Home - Environmental Records, Property Records, Public Records & Historic Aerial Images is the main internet tool i have found that gives some good ideas of where to look.
and if the place has been torn down i will look to see if i can piece together the yard layout from the plants. (old rose bush, agapanthus and other bulb flower plants people use as lawn decorations and borders.etc )
if i do any door knocking then i just look at the architecture of the home. this may not be feasible for other cities, but in Santa Barbara it is about as easy as telling the difference in the approximate build dates for the homes as it is to tell apart an old man from a young kid.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NETR Online • Home - Environmental Records, Property Records, Public Records & Historic Aerial Images is the main internet tool i have found that gives some good ideas of where to look.
and if the place has been torn down i will look to see if i can piece together the yard layout from the plants. (old rose bush, agapanthus and other bulb flower plants people use as lawn decorations and borders.etc )
if i do any door knocking then i just look at the architecture of the home. this may not be feasible for other cities, but in Santa Barbara it is about as easy as telling the difference in the approximate build dates for the homes as it is to tell apart an old man from a young kid.

I guess that's true in lots of areas in the U.S. Here in SW Florida, there was a housing boom in 1925, lots of Mediterranean Revival style homes, after that, nothing until mid 50's early 60's cookie cutter homes.... anything built after that, no interest in hunting it.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check out maps and historical society blogs. Do drive's thru prospective area's and note realty signs. In more rural area's I'll look for plants that indicate a habitation at some point in time~ rose bushes, herbs and tree's that don't belong to the area. Don't discount the old timers stories either.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The Old-Timers are a key source,especially from the Historic Society!!!!

GOD Bless

Chris

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like using the local county assessors website. Gives the year built and owner information which comes in handy.

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use old maps of the area as well as talk to old timers. They have a wealth of information and can tell you about gathering places that are not marked on the maps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread