What's new

What Is Your Opinion

undertaker

Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
562
Reaction score
337
Golden Thread
0
Location
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I purchased this point a few years ago on ebay and when it arrived I saw a beautiful point and was happy to add it to my collection. After handling it a few times I noticed white showing through on the high points. At first it didn't bother me but later on when I thought about getting such a nice point at a very low price I began to wonder if it was authentic. A couple of days ago I took a green 3m scrub pad to it with dish soap and saw that the black started to come off. It didn't come off easy but as you can see in pics it did come off. I then figures it was a resin cast so I put a flame to one ear and it didn't melt. If this isn't authentic what material could be cast that doesn't melt or burn? Ceramic? The weight feels correct. Im puzzled. I have found many arrowheads but have never seen anything come off other than dirt. When point arrived it was coal black with brown rust colored residue here and there.
 

Attachments

  • 036.webp
    036.webp
    583.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 030.webp
    030.webp
    617.4 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0
It could have been modern made from actual stone and rubbed with a patina stain and that is what's coming off.
 
I find some light weight chert stuff this is highly stained. It sounds kinda like ceramic when clinked. I guess I could rub it off I do not know. But I found them and not e-bay. Maybe someone familiar with fakes and what to look for will chime in :dontknow:
 
First, what type of Point is it supposed to be? It looks like someones poor attempt to turn it into an E Notch type.

My guess is it's modern.
 
I think I would have started my investigation a little less harsh. Lol! I do see where the color came off, and it doesn't look like real patina. What I mean by that is, I can't get creek or river patina off of my creek finds. I have soaked, scrubbed, and soaked again. No luck, still an old nasty brown patina. Some say not to remove patina, but I figure, I found it, I'll do as I please. Sorry about the way this is headed for you. Hopefully you will find out its a good piece. If not, I'd turn the vendor in to e-bay.
 
Thanks for your opinions. I think I have purchased about a about 10 arrowheads in the past. I seldom buy them but do have a display case devoted to ones I that I have not found in the field. I feel it's a well made fake and will keep it away from collection so not to contaminate it. I just wished I knew for sure. I would hate to treat this point with disrespect if it really was authentic. Ive been hunting arrowheads for quite along time now and feel comfortable with arrowheads from the northeast. When it comes to points and from out of my area I have alot to learn.
 
It may very well be real. I know some people selling their collections on e-bay and a lot of stuff is ok. It does look like an e-notch
 
My Dad and I have bought some relics over the years, and the best place we found are farm auctions, sometimes they aren't listed in the sale bill, but there will be an old cigar box, or coffee can with some nice surprises.

Dad picked up a pipe in the early 70's that way, in a box of junk for a few bucks. Had it authenticated and turned down some good offers....I need to post a pic of it n see what you guys think.
 
Hate to say it but it is modern like reap said. Two point types have been known for E notch, Thebes and Bolen. Bentons and Turkey tails can be double and triple notched. This point is incorrect. First the base shows a Hardaway form and the point shows a Palmer form. Two forms already, now add in the E notch and you have yourself a unpublished point. After blowing this point up for a better look it is all wrong. A good knapper will try and get everything correct to a known point type to try and get away with selling it. They apply a artificial patina, in this case it sure looks like shoe polish or paint that was baked on to make it look like patina. A in experienced knapper will just try and make the best point possible and then throw in the wow factor to sell it. In this case it was the E notch.
 
Thanks for your knowledge on e-notches. I have only seen one e-notch come from where I hunt here in Vermont and it was found by my friend. He called it a double notch and it wasn't shaped like the one I have. I can't see where the money is in the time spent to make and fake this point. I purchased this point for $12.50. I guess a buck is a buck and if you make a hundred of them it could add up. There has gotta be a better way to make a living.
 
Last edited:
I don't know where you are, but a few years back there was a guy around Ohio that made "artifacts" out of bondo car repair kits. He made casts of the real thing and then used the bondo to create new ones. He tried several times to pass them off as the real deal at artifact shows and was kicked out every time. Looks sort of like what he created. I've been collecting for 30+ years and have never found any that color comes off.
 
It's possible that it could be a cast. There are a lot of old polystone or rockite casts out there in various collections. They have the weight of stone and fire wouldn't affect them. They generally aren't quite as detailed as resin casts and you'll often see flashing / mold seams. I've seen Clovis and Cumberland as well as some very common types like Dickson, Adena, etc.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom