What is your pet peeve?

Etymology of the word peeve,
peevish
1393, peyvesshe "perverse, capricious, silly," of uncertain origin, possibly modeled on L. perversus "reversed, perverse," pp. of pervertere "to turn about" (see pervert). Meaning "cross, fretful" first recorded c.1530. The verb peeve is a 1908 back-formation; pet peeve "the thing that provokes one most" is first attested 1919

Etymology ofthe word pet,
pet (1)
"tamed animal," originally Scot. and northern England dial., of unknown origin. Sense of "indulged child" (1508) is recorded slightly earlier than that of "animal kept as a favorite" (1539), but the latter may be the primary meaning. Probably associated with or influenced by petty. The verb is 1629 meaning "treat as a pet;" the sense of "to stroke" is first found 1818. Slang sense of "kiss and caress" is from 1920 (implied in petting, in F. Scott Fitzgerald). Teacher's pet is attested from 1914.
pet (2)
"peevishness, offense at feeling slighted," 1590, in phrase take the pet "take offense." Perhaps from pet (1) on a similar notion to that in Amer.Eng. that gets my goat, but the underlying notion is obscure, and the form of the original expression makes this doubtful. This word seems to have been originally a southern Eng. term, while pet (1) was Scottish.

etymology of the phrase pet peeve,
see peeve

Wouldn't you rather someone/something get your goat?

If you just stirred your coffee don't stick that spoon into the sugar jar. The resulting clumps don't easily dissolve.
Also people who poke me in the eye with a #2 pencil when they don't really know if I deserved it or not.

NHbenz said:
Also people who poke me in the eye with a #2 pencil when they don't really know if I deserved it or not.

:icon_pirat: So that WAS you I saw in the emergency room :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• eye.jpg
    eye.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 294
I was so looking forwards to eating out today, I didn't have any breakfast so i would thoroughly enjoy my meal.
I got seated by a BIG woman, mid 40's & her elderly mother.
To cut a long story short, the woman scoffed her food like a pig, blew her nose after the meal, not just blew it neither, she wasn't satisfied until she had fingered her nose for at least 5 mins. Her mother after wrapping up some buttered buns, she felt the need to rearrange her false teeth..
I just sat there shaking my head side to side sighing. The woman said 'whats the matter?' I replied ' I wish we could see ourselves has others see us'
She got up to leave & retrieved her knickers out the crack of her ass. (sorry)..

Molly. :(

jeff of pa said:
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Folks that use the word cheap, when they
should use the word low priced.
Big difference.

did the bird go "Low Priced Low Priced" ?

Sorry, Just a "Low Priced" Shot

This reminds me of what old dad used to say. He'd say "some people claim Bill isn't proper, but who ever heard of the duck sticking his William through the fence?"

NHbenz said:
If you just stirred your coffee don't stick that spoon into the sugar jar. The resulting clumps don't easily dissolve.

My pet peeve is cavemen who pour sugar into their coffee then stir it with a #2 pencil. >:(

caveman6.gif

Attachments

• caveman6.gif
    caveman6.gif
    63.8 KB · Views: 285
mrs.oroblanco said:
My pet peeve is toilets that are so tall, my feet don't touch the floor!
B

You were supposed to get rid of the potty training booster seat YEARS ago.... I know, it's soft, comfy, and the little duck pictures are cute ~ but it's time to move on!

Molly said:
I was so looking forwards to eating out today, I didn't have any breakfast so i would thoroughly enjoy my meal.
I got seated by a BIG woman, mid 40's & her elderly mother.
To cut a long story short, the woman scoffed her food like a pig, blew her nose after the meal, not just blew it neither, she wasn't satisfied until she had fingered her nose for at least 5 mins. Her mother after wrapping up some buttered buns, she felt the need to rearrange her false teeth..
I just sat there shaking my head side to side sighing. The woman said 'whats the matter?' I replied ' I wish we could see ourselves has others see us'
She got up to leave & retrieved her knickers out the crack of her ass. (sorry)..

Molly. :(

And so I direct you to my pet peeve! Number 9

people that chew thier food with thier mouths open and people that make fun of fat people i weigh 310 pounds and stand 6' 4'' and work on a farm lots of manual labor wanna work woth me or come to my house and try and put a moo moo on me.

olepossum said:
people that chew thier food with thier mouths open and people that make fun of fat people i weigh 310 pounds and stand 6' 4'' and work on a farm lots of manual labor wanna work woth me or come to my house and try and put a moo moo on me.

I am sure you are directing that at me. I was not making fun of anyone. But I CAN work next to anyone and hold my own including you with or without a moo moo.

I can see this becoming a very long Thread... :D

People driving who just STOP in the road/car park, pretending they haven't seen you. >:(
I just clap my hands, that gets them moving because they feel so stupid..Thats so annoying.

Ohh also ppl who are shopping & just STOP walking, blocking the way..again pretending NOT to see you waiting.
I have NO patience, none what so ever..

Molly. :D

Molly said:
I can see this becoming a very long Thread... :D

People driving who just STOP in the road/car park, pretending they haven't seen you. >:(
I just clap my hands, that gets them moving because they feel so stupid..Thats so annoying.

Ohh also ppl who are shopping & just STOP walking, blocking the way..again pretending NOT to see you waiting.
I have NO patience, none what so ever..

Molly. :D

I just run into em... that 'll teach um.
seriously I really did that in Wallmart,
these people don't know what they are messin with. LOL

When it was all over ...
I was apologised to by the manager...etc.

I just don't have much quit in me.

The #1 has to be "BAD DRIVERS!" includes the slow, inattentive, and drivers using cell phones, reading maps , or putting on makeup at 50 MPH.

My #2 Is people who believe that an air test can and does give the actual depth a detector will read in the field. Last time I looked the fields I detect where filled with dirt.

Ed D.

I dislike rude people! Did you know that putting on makeup while driving is called fardding?

I hate people that have to have the work radio on every single day, all day, the second they walk in the door at work to only their station at a sound level that leaves your ears ringing. I just want get a heavy pallet with the forklift and crush the hell out it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back