What kind of cannonball is it? If it is...

wetcoast

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This cannonball was found on a small island here on the west coast of BC. There is no history of mining on the island and the ball was found buried in the ground. It has a rich patina and appears old. The ball is 3.5 inches wide and is 5lbs 13 ounces. It is not perfectly round. It appears to have struck something hard and even has damage to one side. There was a battle in the area in the 1863 involving British warships and natives, but this ball does not appear to match guns of the period. It does however seem to have more in common with minion or saker cannons which fired shot 3.5 inches with weights around 5lbs. Guns of the 16th and early 17th century had not been standardized. As Sir Francis Drake was known to be in the area in the late 1500s and 2 of his ships, one English and one a captured Spanish ship disappeared in the area, I wondered if they may have fired the ball. A later expedition by Thomas Cavendish again after Drake resulted in missing ships in the same area. I have other cannonballs to compare it to and other than the one side being damaged it appears spherical. The British museum site has a few similar cannonballs from the period, but found in the U.K. It could also be from a Spanish gun as they were in the area in the 1700s, but I am not familiar with their guns. Anyway, I am open to any comments or theories. minion1.jpg minion2.jpg minion3.jpg

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is a cannonball, it would have had to hit something very solid to suffer such an indentation. It is very close in size and weight to a British 6 pounder cannonball and accounting for loss from rust and the damaged area, it is possible that it could one. British Cannonball Sizes However, I would wait for the CannonBall Guy to chime in and see what he has to say.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
MXT 300MM PISTOL PROBE FISKARS SPADE AND SHOVEL 12INCH,4X6 AND 8X6 SEF
XT600 TO GET THERE

BEST FIND TO DATE 1787 FUGIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree,imagine it would have to traveling at an extreme speed and hit something more quite solid to dent that thing.Just my opinion though.

If it is a cannonball, it would have had to hit something very solid to suffer such an indentation. It is very close in size and weight to a British 6 pounder cannonball and accounting for loss from rust and the damaged area, it is possible that it could one. British Cannonball Sizes However, I would wait for the CannonBall Guy to chime in and see what he has to say.

Frank

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dose not look like a mill ball. I'm thinking you actually found a real round ball projectile. Maybe they did some target practice at something on that island. It does look like it impacted something. Did you see any prominent rocks around that would make good targets to aim at? it has more than one flat spot. maybe it ricocheted off a couple of objects?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Could it be "A commercial Down Rigger Weight?"

Living on the West Coast many commercial fishermen use such weights

commercial-downrigger-fishing-gear-23214709.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wetcoast

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think so as the holes don't appear to have held a pin of any kind also the patina appears to make it look old... but you never know... definitely a good possibility.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread