What's new

What kind of error is this?

upstatejay

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2008
Messages
58
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I posted this to "Coins" w/o any help. I found this in the trash bin of a local Coinstar machine. I think this is a collar error. 1998 Nickel. The edge has a 45 degree camfer all the way around and no ridges on the edged. What kind of error is this? Thank you for your ideas and help.

J~
 

Attachments

  • 1998 error nickel.webp
    1998 error nickel.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 370
  • 1998 error nickel.webp
    1998 error nickel.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 364
Is it smaller than a nickel? It looks like it has been spooned.
 

Attachments

  • spoonedcoin.webp
    spoonedcoin.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 345
  • spoonedcoin.webp
    spoonedcoin.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 341
Upvote 0
The diameter of the error nickel is the same as a regular nickel. No deformation in the center of the coin. i.e. concave or convex surface.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a nickel that got caught in the drum of a dryer for while.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom