What's new

What kind of rock is this?

Bink29

Full Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
127
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kingman, Az.
I found these while digging around near Kingman, Arizona. The bigger 1 is 47g and the smaller 1 is 7g. They feel heavy for their size. I can pick them up with a magnet but they will not hit on a metal detector. It looks like they have speckles of fools gold in them?
 

Attachments

  • Rocks 002.webp
    Rocks 002.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 454
Metamorphic: Tough rock with layers (foliation) of light and dark minerals, often curved; various colors; often glittery from mica....Metamorphic rocks are the third great class of rocks. These are what happens when sedimentary and igneous rocks become changed, or metamorphosed, by conditions underground. The four main agents that metamorphose rocks are heat, pressure, fluids and strain. These agents can act and interact in an infinite variety of ways. As a result, most of the thousands of rare minerals known to science occur in metamorphic ("shape-changed") rocks. Metamorphism acts at two scales, the regional scale and the local scale. This looks like your "rock" cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
I'd say Magnetite....

I used to find them in Death Valley when I detected Ghost Towns. I use to think they were meteorites til I was informed by UCLA's Geology Dept. You
 
Upvote 0
Sorry, I sent the reply before I finished....

You can do a scratch test on the back of a piece of tile.....if it leaves a colored "scrape" it's an Earth rock....if it scratches without a color...then further investigation may tell you it is a meteorite. I'm no expert, I'm just passing along info I was told by UCLA.
 
Upvote 0
I'm going with 'stone' :D
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom