what pan?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use different pans depending on the type of material being panned. If I know the gold is going to be fine and in a lot of black sand then I use the pan with 5 traps.

If I get into some course gold and not much fines or black sand then I use the pan with only 3 traps.

Always sand out a new plastic pan before using it to prevent the gold from easily washing out. Newbies should always pan over a saftey pan in case of accidental gold wash out.

GG~

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess I have a few pans... :D

Le Trap pan
Garrett 10"
Garrett 14"
Garrett 15"
Trinity Bowl
Estwing 12" Metal pan
Klondike special
Ferrari pan

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Something fell on my GPAA pan and it broke into 3 pieces.
Still haven't found the third piece so I went back to the Garrett
and just finished panning out 4 bags of concentrates from
Fairbanks, Alaska. Pretty good amount, need a scale. Got one
from Fever and it wouldn't work. I have some of the worst
luck. I bought a Compass in a yard sale and was sitting there
cleaning it up, BTW it worked great. All of a sudden a part of
the light fixture fell hitting the cable ruining it.
Hope you guys are finding lots of AU.

lastleg

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like you had some really bad luck lately. now worries, now the good luck will state kicking in. take care. ron

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would like to see the trinity in action,i have tried many but not that one .i think it looks like it could be a great pan in the hands of someone that is familiar with it .but probably has a learning curve to it. :dontknow:

treasure diver

Mar 17, 2006
eastern KY.
I like the Proline Pro. Deep riffles & more of them,mine is blue, shows the gold good & you don't lose the pan when you lay it down in the grass. For the new guys. Flatten some #9 shot & pan that until you don't lose any & you will keep any gold since it is heavier that lead.

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
it cant rain every day bud, it will get better.

lastleg said:
Something fell on my GPAA pan and it broke into 3 pieces.
Still haven't found the third piece so I went back to the Garrett
and just finished panning out 4 bags of concentrates from
Fairbanks, Alaska. Pretty good amount, need a scale. Got one
from Fever and it wouldn't work. I have some of the worst
luck. I bought a Compass in a yard sale and was sitting there
cleaning it up, BTW it worked great. All of a sudden a part of
the light fixture fell hitting the cable ruining it.
Hope you guys are finding lots of AU.

lastleg

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks guys:

What a great hobby. What a great country we live in. I am
presently cleaning up iron relics found detecting on both private
land and wilderness sites. I never would sell them, just preserve
for the next generation.

lastleg

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sheesh come on guys this is a super easy one to answer........any that has a thick golden bottom ;D :laughing9:

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the first pan i used was a pie tin i was about 13 and i found a piece of gold. ahh so long ago. gave me the fever, never been able to cure it.
highdesertranger

Gohot229

Greenie
Mar 13, 2010
North Carolina
I'm thinking a 'Trinity' pan. The one I have is the typical ridged in black. Black to distinguish any color in the pan as my stuff is mostly panning flour gold. It seems to be abundant where I'm at with every pan showing color.The point was made of highly visable pans and not looseing them in the weeds, good call. The right combo for me would be a classifier pan or two and a panning pan that suited me and the abillity to 'see' color in it. Another thing to think about is: my kit consists of a black 5 gallon plastic bucket, a plastic coffee can with lid, a sniffer bottle, a garden claw, and my pan, and of course a vial, all the stuff fits in the 5 gallon bucket except the pan. I'd like a pan that would barley squeeze into the 5 gallon bucket and then it would all be highly portable without giving clues while carrying around a bucket. All that becomes moot if I get a Desert Fox though as I'd be packing a sizeable amount of stuff mot to mention a heavy battery. I go alone, so transportability is an issue, as I use a cane.... can't get around that though, bad hip.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Saw some strange new pans at Salem Gold show.
1 was rectangular with a funny bottom.
1 was square and as deep as it was wide. Also had a plug in the center.

Grey

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
I just picked up a Garret Super Sluice pan.....man its got some deep riffles. But the sucker weighs a ton when its loaded full. It's a 15" pan and built sturdy. I also use some of the Keene (blue style with two sizes of riffles), and my good ole green GPAA gold catcher pan. Can never have too many!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I have round pans...Garrett the best. But since the 80's I really like my rectangular LeTrap pan!

It washes 99% of the Bsand out, just leaves gold to snuff up...real clean. Its faster than a round pan, too. Easier to use.
You use a back and forth tilting, and you can float it on the water while you do that...easy on the back. It has 5-6 riffles on one end, and
a square recovery bottom. It took me a while to get used to it, but MAN! A lot better recovery than the round pans!

I just can't believe so many on this board have not tried it. Someone makes an imitation LeTrap pan, for less cost. Anyone work with it?

Its a production/finishing pan, all in one! I NEVER have to carry Bsand cons home anymore!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread