What's new

What Rock ?

Wierdokinkygear

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 16, 2019
Messages
8
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi my names Sven , I have a rock it weighs 6kilos it's about 25cm x 18cm x 15cm it's slightly magnetic and it smells.It has sparkling flecks all over it . .found in Northern N.S.W Australia. 20190404_101707.webp20190404_101537.webp20190404_101922.webp20190404_101515_resized_1.webp
 
Last edited:
I dont know enough about them ,it looks like descriptions of meteorites , that I have read but am still doubtful as I lack experience .
 
Upvote 0
Have an expert look at it
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to tnet
 
Upvote 0
It smells like an old bbq that's wet . I live in Northern NSW Australia and it seems fairly costly to have people analyze any rock ,that's the purpose for posting it here, to see what most responses are .
 
Upvote 0
Welcome friend!

One basic feature that will get you closer to the realm of meteorite is the specific gravity or density. meteorites are really heavy for their size. Take a large measuring cup and fill it with enough water to completely immerse the rock. Record the quantity of water in the cup and then immerse the rock in it. Read and record the amount of water displaced by the meteorite. Weigh the rock with a precise scale and ratio the two readings. You could find directions on the web and then compare your reading to the specific gravity of known metal and minerals.

Check the web or your phone book for a nearby rock and mineral or prospecting shop. If it is a meteorite of that size it'll be worth considerable cash. Don't be too quick to accept the first offer(s).

Best wishes!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom