What started as dud water hunts end with gold and ice, and civil war bullets from the school

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to detect in a park lake that usually is restricted until after Labor Day. The permission was limited to the water only and from 8 am to 9am so only an hour. I went there to give it a check to see if it was worth doing regularly and then went to a lake I detect once a year because it doesn’t get a huge amount of use.

My hour at the new permission with the ATPRO was much quieter than I expected. Very few targets of any kind. The bottom in this section is mostly rocks and gravel which makes scooping a challenge. I did manage to find 5 coins with a face value of $0.62, part of a brass earring, an earring back, a croc charm (eyeball find) and 2 pieces of foil. The earring back looks shiny, but no markings so probably not silver.

FA8284CB-F6DC-4EF7-A722-5EEF48E3E49E.jpeg

I spent 4 hours at the other lake that usually produces some change and jewelry. I found 2 coins with a face value of $0.26, 3 rings, an older style bead (I used to find a lot of these 15 years ago, silver plated), 3 earrings, some sinkers, part of a tab, some hardware, a thin brass star, a good luck token and lots of foil.

AF2A0177-29A1-46E8-A354-40D670BAB552.jpeg

The rings are a stainless Lords Prayer ring, a tungsten I LOVE YOU ring and a real cheapie kiddie claddagh ring.

2C9A6BA2-086A-4CC3-8F1C-1DD781907752.jpeg

The earrings are a silver with an opal (not sure if it’s real or not) with white topaz around it. The second is a silver with a CZ and the last is a cheapie CZ.

EA0475A0-4872-43D0-8C83-E40E35A5F676.jpeg

Only 7 coins in 5 hours. I haven’t done this badly in a long time except for really old sites where I am hunting relics and not coins and jewelry. At least I found 2 tiny silvers.

I went back to the new permissions to give it one more shot. I had an appointment at 11 so no time to go anywhere else before I headed home. This section is mostly sandy on the bottom with some large rocks. This hour was better than the first. Still only 6 coins, but more jewelry and it was better jewelry.

So 6 coins with a face value of $0.48, 2 rings, a cross, 4 earrings, a necklace, a shoe grommet, a sinker and 5 pieces of foil.

A596C33C-B3DE-40BE-A876-FAFBA8543DAE.jpeg

The little butterfly earring is silver and has multicolored czs in it. The heart ring is 10k rose hill gold with 11 small diamonds in it. That is the third diamond ring I have found in the past 35 days. They are very small diamonds, but they are diamonds and they don’t come up very often normally. I have found much better diamond rings and several times I have found 2 in one day, but you can only find what is there and be thankful you were able to get your coil over it.

28B3141A-BFEA-4D03-89E7-1A7057EB48D6.jpeg

D4C189BE-6284-483B-ADD9-94225804CFEA.jpeg

The coinstar has been empty and the coin returns have been duds as well. We did go back to Baltimore and I did my morning walk through the parking lots. I found 18 coins with a face value of $0.60 that included a 9 penny spill and 2 pieces of cheapie jewelry. On the sidewalk outside the post office when I mailed a letter I found a quarter and 2 pennies.

03A5303E-215B-48FE-A214-8AD01F4A8786.jpeg

I had time between family obligations and got in one more hunt. This one was at the civil war bullet school. The kiddies are back so I can only work here on weekends and holidays.

I spent 5 hours with the CZ21 extending a grid and starting another one. I found 42 coins with a face value of $2.78, 2 civil war bullets, a merc dime, a small pendant, a seed bead necklace, a stainless table knife, pieces of a toy ambulance, a few tabs and can slaw.

952A3A41-1661-4F87-872F-ABB3BA0D885C.jpeg

The merc is a 1945 in fair shape. The ground wasn’t very kind to it. The little pendant has a P on the front and “pita vida charity” on the back. I found it on line and it is a tag from a Vera Bradley cord bracelet for cancer awareness.

439301D7-AABE-4284-8CF1-834EDAF6A2A2.jpeg

The 2 civil war bullets are both Williams Type III cleaner bullets. The first one is missing the zinc plunger. The second one is mashed up. You can see the 2 squared rings faintly and in the second picture you can see the end of the zinc post where the base broke off.

4966B417-B87E-417D-BB36-32602032EF62.jpeg

8DB23957-A1CE-4630-9727-DB19774A2B8D.jpeg

My wife and I are making a trip to the beach tomorrow so hopefully there will be some goodies to bring home. So not a lot of clad, but silver, gold and old with 6 more rings to add to the count as well. Not a bad week. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• 16EC2572-55A7-49F7-9092-93F454D4B7E1.jpeg
    16EC2572-55A7-49F7-9092-93F454D4B7E1.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 32

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got permission to detect in a park lake that usually is restricted until after Labor Day. The permission was limited to the water only and from 8 am to 9am so only an hour. I went there to give it a check to see if it was worth doing regularly and then went to a lake I detect once a year because it doesn’t get a huge amount of use.

My hour at the new permission with the ATPRO was much quieter than I expected. Very few targets of any kind. The bottom in this section is mostly rocks and gravel which makes scooping a challenge. I did manage to find 5 coins with a face value of $0.62, part of a brass earring, an earring back, a croc charm (eyeball find) and 2 pieces of foil. The earring back looks shiny, but no markings so probably not silver.

View attachment 2044910

I spent 4 hours at the other lake that usually produces some change and jewelry. I found 2 coins with a face value of $0.26, 3 rings, an older style bead (I used to find a lot of these 15 years ago, silver plated), 3 earrings, some sinkers, part of a tab, some hardware, a thin brass star, a good luck token and lots of foil.

View attachment 2044911

The rings are a stainless Lords Prayer ring, a tungsten I LOVE YOU ring and a real cheapie kiddie claddagh ring.

View attachment 2044912

The earrings are a silver with an opal (not sure if it’s real or not) with white topaz around it. The second is a silver with a CZ and the last is a cheapie CZ.

View attachment 2044913

Only 7 coins in 5 hours. I haven’t done this badly in a long time except for really old sites where I am hunting relics and not coins and jewelry. At least I found 2 tiny silvers.

I went back to the new permissions to give it one more shot. I had an appointment at 11 so no time to go anywhere else before I headed home. This section is mostly sandy on the bottom with some large rocks. This hour was better than the first. Still only 6 coins, but more jewelry and it was better jewelry.

So 6 coins with a face value of $0.48, 2 rings, a cross, 4 earrings, a necklace, a shoe grommet, a sinker and 5 pieces of foil.

View attachment 2044914

The little butterfly earring is silver and has multicolored czs in it. The heart ring is 10k rose hill gold with 11 small diamonds in it. That is the third diamond ring I have found in the past 35 days. They are very small diamonds, but they are diamonds and they don’t come up very often normally. I have found much better diamond rings and several times I have found 2 in one day, but you can only find what is there and be thankful you were able to get your coil over it.

View attachment 2044915

View attachment 2044909

The coinstar has been empty and the coin returns have been duds as well. We did go back to Baltimore and I did my morning walk through the parking lots. I found 18 coins with a face value of $0.60 that included a 9 penny spill and 2 pieces of cheapie jewelry. On the sidewalk outside the post office when I mailed a letter I found a quarter and 2 pennies.

View attachment 2044921

I had time between family obligations and got in one more hunt. This one was at the civil war bullet school. The kiddies are back so I can only work here on weekends and holidays.

I spent 5 hours with the CZ21 extending a grid and starting another one. I found 42 coins with a face value of $2.78, 2 civil war bullets, a merc dime, a small pendant, a seed bead necklace, a stainless table knife, pieces of a toy ambulance, a few tabs and can slaw.

View attachment 2044917

The merc is a 1945 in fair shape. The ground wasn’t very kind to it. The little pendant has a P on the front and “pita vida charity” on the back. I found it on line and it is a tag from a Vera Bradley cord bracelet for cancer awareness.

View attachment 2044918

The 2 civil war bullets are both Williams Type III cleaner bullets. The first one is missing the zinc plunger. The second one is mashed up. You can see the 2 squared rings faintly and in the second picture you can see the end of the zinc post where the base broke off.

View attachment 2044919

View attachment 2044920

My wife and I are making a trip to the beach tomorrow so hopefully there will be some goodies to bring home. So not a lot of clad, but silver, gold and old with 6 more rings to add to the count as well. Not a bad week. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Man, you really scored. Congratulations!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2044910

View attachment 2044911

View attachment 2044912

View attachment 2044913

View attachment 2044914

View attachment 2044915

View attachment 2044909

View attachment 2044921

View attachment 2044917

View attachment 2044918

View attachment 2044919

View attachment 2044920

Awesome Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about leaving some foe the rest of us
I understand, but it is first come first served or in this case first one to get their coil over it and dig gets the goodies. Thanks for replying, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m going to assume that was sarcasm. Great hunt
Oh I think that it's kind of true.
First come first served.
Fishing/dirt fishing
60 yrs folks have been digging holes it's a challenge just to find a spot not detected if public property.

Good post once again tat-congrats on the gold and silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread