What's new

What the heck is this, dont do that !!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
8,006
Reaction score
899
Golden Thread
0
Location
Location: Undisclosed
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the heck is this, don't do that !!

Hey all, :hello:

How many of you have had a nice Quarter/Half signal at 3-4 inches. :o You have to dig down 13 inches to find, is it silver is it a half.... ??? No no its an aluminum can. :icon_scratch: I mean what the crap... :o is there some way they can notch this out or fix this. How dose a soda can at 13 inches look anything like a Quarter at 3 inches.... :dontknow: I dig so many of these its very annoying. I feel this is the reason the Half dollar has eluded me. :help: Lets here your thoughts.... :sign13:

Keep @ It and HH!! :D ;D
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

Don't know what detector your using, but I can tell difference 95% of the time with my Vaquero by the size of the signal area, and the strength of the signal.
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

I use a Whites, MXT ;D I like it I have found the good stuff with it. :headbang: No silver Half's or dollars, :icon_scratch: I have found lots of silver dimes, quarters, one heavy gold ring that made banner. :o I would just like a way around these darn cans and other plate metal.

Keep @ it and HH!!
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

Hey mud. I also use a MXT and have had the same exact thing happen regularly. It's hard to do but, when the detector says a quarter at 3 inches and you have already dug 4 or 5 inches, LEAVE IT!! It's a stinkin' can!! :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

That's what I do Backer but that is why I think I have not found any silver half's or dollars... :dontknow: I've seen people on Youtube dig a clad dollar in a hole someone gave up on.... :icon_scratch:

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

Mud, Don,t feel bad. The half dollar is not often lost. The size and denomination make it harder to lose than other coins. I actually see more large cents, British & US coins found when detecting with my club. Heck I see more Spanish Reals than Half dollars. My half count in 5 years, 1 (1962 Franklin). Found in a field that produced over a dozen. Very rare to find that many in one location.

Ed D.
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

I've had the same problem. The bad thing about ignoring larger targets is that you never know when you might be passing over a can of money. It's the cache hunter in me. ;D Of course, if you're in a trashy area, you have little choice.
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

I have done the same . As posted above if it says quarter at 3in and your down to 6in
it might be time to bail . Also a hand probe is a big help once you are down in the hole
you can read the target getting bigger and expanding in the hole HH Mike
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

You aren't missing the dollars Mud. I was in my own backyard just messing around with my MXT. All of a sudden I got a reading of $1 at 4 inches. I told myself, "Yeah, right!". Sure enough, there it was, an Ike dollar at about 4 inches.
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

I have noticed with the ace250 that if you get a solid signal for a quarter or half at 4 to 6 inches and dig a plug that if you re-scan a lot of times it goes to the dollar icon if it's a can. It's like you get 4 to 6 inches of dirt out of the way and the target reads bigger. I have yet to find a half or dollar coin so I don't know if it will stay on a consistant reading for them but if gives a solid quarter signal and then stays a solid quarter signal it's usually a quarter. On the other hand I have dug solid quarter signals at 2 to 4 inch readings and found screw caps that are just barely under the surface.

I dig all those big signals though because I don't want to be sitting at home later wondering what I DIDN"T dig. I guess until they come up with an X-ray type detector that shows an outline of what's down there we will just have to keep digging up those cans and zinc jar lids.

HH Charlie
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

Target depth is based on a the nickle coin diameter in a flat orientation. Any difference, angle, size, will cause a shift in the reading. A 2" diameter can lid lying flat may read 2" deep and actually be 8" deep. A dime may be 3" and read 6" deep. A lot of the better detectors also use the target ID to help get a better depth readings. I also find the more conductive readings (Minelab guy talking here.)to be correct in depth indication and ID.

Ed D.
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

With my X-70 I just quickly engage the prospecting mode and listen to the duration of the targets tone. Long tone not a coin. Short tone , possible coin.
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

Relax my friend, You are now becoming a treasure hunter. Just think, IF you are digging up those cans etc.' AND' disposing of them, you are helping in the detectorist' image, and one just may hold lots of silver coins.

Also, if everything is spelled out for you, it eventually is nothing more than similarly going to a Bank and checking your change, no romance nor suspense..

Don Jose de La Manacha
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

I like it when people don't dig old rusty cans and cast iron.
siegfried schlagrule
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

Just leave them for you eh Seigfried ??? Especially the old tin cans filled with gold coins he he he


Don Jose de La Mancha ,
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

use the old lift the coil trick --- if its a coin sized item --lift the coil upwards --it should "drop out" and not be detected --however the much larger sized aluminum can target will still ring up :wink: :icon_thumright: try it some time
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

Real de Tayopa said:
Just leave them for you eh Seigfried ??? Especially the old tin cans filled with gold coins he he he


Don Jose de La Mancha ,

Not me personally but leave them for folks that don't drive
around with their headlights off. I was thinking more on
the lines of an old cast iron bean pot with the lid wired on
with baling wire. Most Prince Albert cans I've found have been
full of rotted paper money that is a pain to get cashed quietly.
The only times i have not dug big signals was on world war one
and world war two battlefields. There are very few spots in the US
that will explode when you dig them. If a person has a self-esteem
that will be damaged by digging a worthless hole they are in the wrong
damn hobby. siegfried schlagrule
 
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

yes, I agree. When I encounter a target of quentionable origin, I scan it from different angles to determine size. If it's deep, it can fool you on size, so I lift my coil to see how far up before I start losing the signal. If you know your machines limitations on, say a half or dollar, then you know when it is out of range. When in doubt, DIG! rockhound
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom