What's new

what the heck???

birdpointgriswold

Hero Member
Joined
May 23, 2012
Messages
901
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any ideas?

ForumRunner_20121109_135345.webp



ForumRunner_20121109_135354.webp
 
Upvote 0
....... crickets......
 
fossilized mini reese's cup?!?!?!?!?! all joking aside...no clue
 
Come on.. I liked it
 
vegalyrae said:
fossilized mini reese's cup?!?!?!?!?! all joking aside...no clue

Well Halloween is over
 
whatever it is....it's pretty cool thats for sure!!
 
I think someone started hand carving a meerschaum pipe and broke it, or gave up on it for some reason. JMO.
 
OK..it was lame. But the pipe Idea by the Viking is a good one.
 
Quack.... the clay seems right also."kaolin"

english_1830-60.webp



dawnmist_pipe_07.webp
 
I was thinking a shell fossil
 
Def not fossil what I thought at 1st its carved

Fossils arent my strong point. I did want to ask you the time period you find your quartz artifacts. As in what yr you think they are from?
 
I know I'm not Birdoiint but I have several of his quartz points through trade and spent some time studying his area. Its about the availability of the material more than anything else. I've seen points from Paleo through woodland from the Piedmont area of the Carolinas. Most of what I have is archaic.
 
looks like some kind of molded dodad made out of plaster of paris
 
Since kaolin pipes were molded from wet clay and that one appears to have been in the process of being carved from the stone..I would say it is soapstone which is also local to your area. It was commonly used for carving pipes from native American through colonial times.
 
It could be soapstone. It looks alot smoother than the examples I have seen and own, that's why I thought meerschaum. I think it's found in S.C., but not sure.
 
I'm just trying to figure as I go. Can you post one of yours for comparison. I just thought this was a cool little mystery piece.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom