what was that machine....

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Yep, it's called a Ryedale. It sorts through about 300 cents a minute. I little too pricey for me, but they say that once you get it, it pays for itself in no time. Here's the website.

http://www.ryedalecoin.com/

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
comparing with ebay pricing it would take roughly 11 hours of pure work and alot of nice banks to make the money back......not too shabby

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alpha105 said:
comparing with ebay pricing it would take roughly 11 hours of pure work and alot of nice banks to make the money back......not too shabby

There is only so much demand on eBay for pennies. Eventually you get to the point where you are competing with yourself by having more than one listing at a time. So there is a cap on the profits that you can make using eBay. And that cap is fairly low too. You could probably make a couple hundred dollars a month at the current copper melt value. But making more than that would require much higher demand driven by higher copper prices.

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
mts said:
alpha105 said:

There is only so much demand on eBay for pennies. Eventually you get to the point where you are competing with yourself by having more than one listing at a time. So there is a cap on the profits that you can make using eBay. And that cap is fairly low too. You could probably make a couple hundred dollars a month at the current copper melt value. But making more than that would require much higher demand driven by higher copper prices.

In 20 years, Ill bet that people will be collecting copper cents with the same fervor that we have about collecting silver.

At the current rate of consumption, copper mining production will decline 50% from current levels by 2034. By the same token, it will cost 6 times what it does now to extract what little copper is left.

Do the math. Even with no price inflation whatsoever, copper is supposed to cost around 18 or 19 dollars per pound by then. If there is 3% inflation over the next 24 years, it will end up costing as much as 39 dollars per pound. At 5% inflation that runs out to just under 63 dollars per pound. BTW most economists are predicting long term inflation of around 7% a year for the next decade.

Imagine a single pre 1982 penny being worth 4 dollars 24 years from now....lol

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
placerman said:
mts said:
alpha105 said:

In 20 years, Ill bet that people will be collecting copper cents with the same fervor that we have about collecting silver.

At the current rate of consumption, copper mining production will decline 50% from current levels by 2034. By the same token, it will cost 6 times what it does now to extract what little copper is left.

Do the math. Even with no price inflation whatsoever, copper is supposed to cost around 18 or 19 dollars per pound by then. If there is 3% inflation over the next 24 years, it will end up costing as much as 39 dollars per pound. At 5% inflation that runs out to just under 63 dollars per pound. BTW most economists are predicting long term inflation of around 7% a year for the next decade.

Imagine a single pre 1982 penny being worth 4 dollars 24 years from now....lol

I agree. That's why I'm hoarding pennies. But I don't think that now is the time to sell them. So to me it makes no sense to have a Ryedale machine unless you are looking to sell them in the short term. I figure I've got all the time I need to sort pennies. I use my metal detector and can do a box of pennies in about 30 minutes with 100% certainty on the actual composition of the coin without inspecting the date. If I didn't have to spend time breaking them out of the wrappers I could do them even faster. It will be many years before other people start hoarding them like they do silver today. So I'm getting a jump on it and starting early! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread