What would you do? full refund?

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I finally received items from china almost 40 days after placing order. Seller said it would arrive by 4/17. These were a birthday gift for niece and one for gift for nephew. I told them I to hold on for their gifts, I felt like crap when at the bday party. Seller refunded my money, as we both thought they were lost in the mail. Would you give a full refund or partial or just forget about it as I was mislead by his shipping info and looked like a tool when gifts didn't arrive by the stated time?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think it would depend on value. Might not be worth the trouble...were they insured? He might have recovered his costs already...

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
I think it would depend on value. Might not be worth the trouble...were they insured? He might have recovered his costs already...

sent from a potato...
Items cost $50 don't know if they were insured.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think I would just forget about it in that case.

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
I think I would just forget about it in that case.

sent from a potato...
Thank you so much for the input. The kicker is I just ordered the identical items again on monday from a seller based in the USA. so now I am in $100 on items I should have received awhile ago for the price I paid then. $50.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thank you so much for the input. The kicker is I just ordered the identical items again on monday from a seller based in the USA. so now I am in $100 on items I should have received awhile ago for the price I paid then. $50.

Can you cancel the order?

sent from a potato...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I sold and sent a pocket watch to hong kong in the past! It took it about 6 weeks to get there. Even though i was told it would get there in about a week I think. Some of this stuff gets held up in customs I've been told. I know this doesn't answer your question, but it may not have been his fault.

This is why I limit all my auctions to the U.S.

sent from a potato...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipping back would the original ones would probably be quite expensive. Maybe sell them on eBay? Give to some other kids in need?

sent from a potato...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you asking if you should give your refund back from the original (China) order?

Also, how are you " in $100 on items" if you received a refund for the first $50 from the Chinese seller as you stated?

Am I missing something here? I'm confused.

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Are you asking if you should give your refund back from the original (China) order?

Also, how are you " in $100 on items" if you received a refund for the first $50 from the Chinese seller as you stated?

Am I missing something here? I'm confused.

Yes. And no you are not missing anything you are correct I am not in $100 since I got my refund from China. Was tired when posting late last night.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I know it dosn't answer your question buttt... I do ZERO business with China as a buyer or a seller. Problem solved. As for whether or not you refund the Chinese seller that decision is on you. If you feel they misled you with the shipping time and caused you to have to buy a duplicate elsewhere that you really don't need, keep it. If you're the type to put an ad in the lost & found if you find a dollar on the sidewalk send it back. Everyone has different opinions on this type of thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
I know it dosn't answer your question buttt... I do ZERO business with China as a buyer or a seller. Problem solved. As for whether or not you refund the Chinese seller that decision is on you. If you feel they misled you with the shipping time and caused you to have to buy a duplicate elsewhere that you really don't need, keep it. If you're the type to put an ad in the lost & found if you find a dollar on the sidewalk send it back. Everyone has different opinions on this type of thing.
Thanks. I like your opinion and will be doing ZERO business with china from now on and I should have bought from a US seller.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. And no you are not missing anything you are correct I am not in $100 since I got my refund from China. Was tired when posting late last night.
Okay, that helps. FWIW, I stopped doing business with Chinese sellers myself after not receiving my items twice. Both times they were cheap items (less than $5) with free shipping. I filed a claim just before the 45 day limit and got a refund both times. Then of course within a week the items showed up in the mailbox, both times. I kept the item and the refund, both times. Maybe not right morally, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. You've heard of a "slow boat to China"? Well in this case it's the opposite, a "slow boat from China". I/we shouldn't be doing business with them anyway. Shame on me/us.

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Okay, that helps. FWIW, I stopped doing business with Chinese sellers myself after not receiving my items twice. Both times they were cheap items (less than $5) with free shipping. I filed a claim just before the 45 day limit and got a refund both times. Then of course within a week the items showed up in the mailbox, both times. I kept the item and the refund, both times. Maybe not right morally, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. You've heard of a "slow boat to China"? Well in this case it's the opposite, a "slow boat from China". I/we shouldn't be doing business with them anyway. Shame on me/us.
And he was squirrelly, He was hard to get an answer from and when I did he didn't want to give me a refund unless I dropped the case first.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the same thing happen once. I was told that Chinese customs frequently holds up packages. Which sounds pretty believable. But the same items can often be had by USA located sellers with a small markup in price. Chinese gov subsidizes many industries and shipping in sort of a financial industrial war on the rest of the world. So I wouldn't feel to bad about it unless you think its an antique item.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions