What's new

What would you do?

tcornel

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2011
Messages
462
Reaction score
706
Golden Thread
0
Location
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a small town there are 4 parks maintained by one maintenance person.

When I first went there and started detecting he came over and watched and
struck up a conversation about how the last guy left dead grass all over the place.
(No prohibition in the city ordinance against detecting). He said he asked him to leave.

I showed him how I dig and that one could not even tell I dug. He said I was doing
it right and we moved on to people we both know, sports, etc. Turns out he graduated from
HS a couple years after me. Every day he comes over to chat during the last half
hour of his shift and always asks how I did. Like I go metal detecting to help him kill
his paid shift.

So far just a bunch of clad. Today he mentioned that if I found something good worth
a couple hundred or so that he expected "his cut". He was serious because he lamented that
all I am finding is coffee money, if that, so that is not likely to happern.

Of course if I objected he would have tried to throw me out of the park system.

This guy is a paid public employee of the city that I pay taxes in. I resent him wanting what amounts
to a bribe...........>:(

Of course if I find something he'll never see it unless he is watching me at the time.:laughing7:

I am intending to ignore that comment for now unless he persists. If he does my choices are to
back him off by telling him I have the legal right to be there and he should stick to moving his grass.

Or.......should I report the incident to city hall. I have had a business in the town for over 30 years and
know most of the people. Might cost him his job??

What would you do?:dontknow:

Tom
 
Oooooh, what a good question-sucky situation, but good question.....responses should be great.

My first thought was to report him for trying to take what amounts to a "bribe" for allowing you to do what is legal in your city, but I think you have it right-if he persists, tell him to back off, you have a right to be there, are a business owner and why has he been knocking off work early? If he still persists, report him. As a business owner, you should have some clout. Like you said, hate to cost him his job, but he's being a Richard (look what bad words I've picked up on TN : )
 
It is like this all goverment people think they have a right to every thing......... As you said he spends the last half of his shift talking to you not working........ Goverment employes never had to work 8 hours for 8 hours pay.......... to me most goverment people are a waste.......... Lazy see how much work they can not do.... If you could get this bum fired it would be great........ But it is almost impossible to fire a lazy piece of crap goverment worker..... So called worker.. I think they are all over paid..........
 
I would just ignore his request and make a joke out of it.... Don't know maybe something like, hey I will give you a cut of what I find if you pay me a percentage of the cost of my detector!!!" something that will not offend anyone and you might still get along with the guy, after all it's better to have a friend than an enemy.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
I have no clue what region you live in, but it wreaks of extortion to me and I'm an expert in that area. Now if he remains adamant about his cut, you just have to do the following and know your local mobsters :laughing7:

1- Ask him, who's he with
2- Tell him your connected and your partners will not take kindly to his request
3- *While talking just take a good look around the park and mention wow, they would never find anyone buried here.

* This will only work so long as the park is bigger than a postage stamp.

4- Ask when was the last time anyone disappeared from the park
5- Ask who would miss him if he was late from work.
6- Tell him you are always wired and part of the witness protection program, and his requests sound like extortion which could carry a long prison term. You'll be willing to forgive his transgression for 5% of his wages :laughing7:

I think he would get the idea and back off :laughing7:

But you didn't hear it from me.... Capire
 
Last edited:
and where do you work Keppy?...oh let me guess you don't!!!
 
and where do you work Keppy?...oh let me guess you don't!!!
You must be a goverment worker......... I am a retired semi truck driver.... retired in 98 and am 72 and still drive part time for i love driveing... If you work for the goverment...... my 1 or 2 days a week would seem like a full time job to you....Could be to much for you to handle...........:cussing:
 
spartacus53 said:
I have no clue what region you live in, but it wreaks of extortion to me and I'm an expert in that area. Now if he remains adamant about his cut, you just have to do the following and know your local mobsters :laughing7:

1- Ask him, who's he with
2- Tell him your connected and your partners will not take kindly to his request
3- *While talking just take a good look around the park and mention wow, they would never find anyone buried here.

* This will only work so long as the park is bigger than a postage stamp.

4- Ask when was the last time anyone disappeared from the park
5- Ask who would miss him if he was late from work.
6- Tell him you are always wired and part of the witness protection program, and his requests sound like extortion which could carry a long prison term. You'll be willing to forgive his transgression for 5% of his wages :laughing7:

I think he would get the idea and back off :laughing7:

But you didn't hear it from me.... Capire


Yep
 
Easy... Just tell him that if you find a "pot of gold coins" you will split it 50/50. He'll say okay. Done. You have your contract and you remain honest.

If you do find a "pot of gold coins", perhaps it was divine intervention and you should be very happy to share. I've actually made this contract many times even without them asking.
 
I've had hundreds of people say that over the years. I'm not talking about landowners but maintenance and construction workers, cops, and the average Joe walking their dogs.
Never took it seriously.
When people see a metal detectorist, they just can't refrain from blurting out something stupid. Most common phrase is "If you find any gold, I want half!"
The annoying part would be him watching for a half hour every day. Work out a schedule that you're able to avoid him for that last part of his shift.
Cheers,
Dave.
 
Dave,

Good idea. I spend most of every afternoon detecting. I'll hit one of the other parks early and then his just after his quitting time or on Sat.

Not only does he watch but he expects me to be his buddy and quit what I am doing to talk to him. Nice enough guy but he
is really becoming a PIA. If it was a 5 minute deal that would be one thing but it isn't. He was really serious about the "cut" thing
as he made eye contact.
 
tcornel, that "punk Parkie" wouldn't last 5 minutes in NY, or NJ, it's that simple. :laughing7: I'd also suggest that you stand up to him in a nice, but firm way... If not, maybe look into a different hobby, or hunt elsewhere :tongue3:
 
I agree with the above posters to take it jokingly and make sure you are even overly sarcastic about your response. Tell him like they said above "when I find my pot of gold I will split it 50/50 with ya" real sarcastic like. He will either laugh and take your hint or respond something along the lines of how he is serious and wants his cut. Then you can take it the step further that you mentioned and report him or explain how it's your right be to there. Best thing to do though is make him commit to his remark in a serious manner before you call him out because if you don't all he will have to say is "I was kidding" and he can weasel out of it.

just my .02
 
The park guy needs a friend and thinks he found one.
 
just don't tell him what u found or tell him' "i have another detector" and have him help and hope he gets busted
 
Your better off ignoring his threat as you ignore his cut...what they dont know ...DONT HURT!
 
I agree with the above posters to take it jokingly and make sure you are even overly sarcastic about your response. /QUOTE]

:icon_scratch: sarcastic :dontknow: :icon_scratch: I don't think so.. Every region in this country has their on way of dealing with issues. I know further south people love to talk about their carrying permits, but up north we don't carry, we shoot off our mouths instead. I prefer from the start making it known that I'll be no pushover, plain and simple. Besides, we are steeped in a certain history up here that is still feared, so let them guess :laughing7:
 
It is like this all goverment people think they have a right to every thing......... As you said he spends the last half of his shift talking to you not working........ Goverment employes never had to work 8 hours for 8 hours pay.......... to me most goverment people are a waste.......... Lazy see how much work they can not do.... If you could get this bum fired it would be great........ But it is almost impossible to fire a lazy piece of crap goverment worker..... So called worker.. I think they are all over paid..........
I knew I shouldn't have read this post, but then again, I'm always doing things I shouldn't. I like the way you group ALL government workers into one group. I happened to have worked for the state for 35 years. I can bet you I have worked just as hard as you have in your chosen profession. I am not saying I worked every single min. of every day but I can say that the state got more from me than I did from them. Some government workers don't work just 8 hours....During Hurricane Hugo, I stood in the middle of I-95 for 19 hours....Yeah, I got one or two 20 min breaks and a few folks even gave me bottled water....and yes, Keppy...i didn't get overtime pay. Law Enforcement has different rules about overtime...which means the courts don't much care about how long we work...and not get paid. So when you say "All Government workers should be fired".....crank up that diesel and have fun...no troopers to bother you....and you could finally reach your DESTINATION on time...Hopefully...

Got carried away..sorry folks but back to the original post...Let the guy talk. He is just looking for someone to talk to...Sounds like you have a free shot at the park so enjoy..at least until he arrives. He won't stay past knock off time.
 
I like the way you group ALL government workers into one group. I happened to have worked for the state for 35 years. I can bet you I have worked just as hard as you have in your chosen profession. I am not saying I worked every single min. of every day but I can say that the state got more from me than I did from them. Some government workers don't work just 8 hours....During Hurricane Hugo, I stood in the middle of I-95 for 19 hours....Yeah, I got one or two 20 min breaks and a few folks even gave me bottled water....and yes, Keppy...i didn't get overtime pay. Law Enforcement has different rules about overtime...which means the courts don't much care about how long we work...and not get paid. So when you say "All Government workers should be fired".....crank up that diesel and have fun...no troopers to bother you....and you could finally reach your DESTINATION on time...Hopefully...

I agree you can not put all government workers in one group. There are alway those who work hard and exceed at what they do. I have a family member who works for the government and is home more then I am, and I am retired. I also dislike seeing those vehicles with GS license plates at stores, have kids in them, and other stuff that could be seen as non work related activities. I remember one time I was representing an International Company at a Job Fair and noticed that the reps from a government agency across from me showed up late, spent most of the time talking to each other, would tell the people to place thier resume in that basket not even bothering to show any interest, then would continue eating and left early.
 
I agree you can not put all government workers in one group. There are alway those who work hard and exceed at what they do. I have a family member who works for the government and is home more then I am, and I am retired. I also dislike seeing those vehicles with GS license plates at stores, have kids in them, and other stuff that could be seen as non work related activities. I remember one time I was representing an International Company at a Job Fair and noticed that the reps from a government agency across from me showed up late, spent most of the time talking to each other, would tell the people to place thier resume in that basket not even bothering to show any interest, then would continue eating and left early.
I know what you mean..For the most part they are worthless.......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom