whats a good camera for good clear close up shots???

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 746

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to use my Cannon SLR with a macro extension ring but that can set you back about a grand. For close ups its hard to beat a Nikon. I worked in retail camera stores for many years and the small digital Nikon's take great close ups. I also like that you can take large file size photos, ie. 10 or 12 mp, and then crop them to just small image portions that are still high quality because the original size was so large. I hope this helps and Merry Christmas.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
I made some posts a while back on the Sony T series cameras. I have owned a DSC T1 , DSC T200 and I now have a DSC TX1.
They are all slim, point and shoot cameras and have a extra zoomed macro mode.
Here are the posts with pictures.

Magnifying glass mode

How I take my coin closeups

You should be able to find used older T series for $150-$200.
The newest, the DSC-TX1 will set you back about $380, but has some nice new features.

Also, other Sony cameras have this feature as well, not just the T series.

HH,
Donny

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a jewelers loupe and put it right up to the lense of the camera. When it gets nice and clear, snap.....a perfect closeup! Works great, just have to play with it to get it lined up right. Can't get any closer than that!

Jul 11, 2008
Neosho,Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac ,Tesoro cibola
This is with a HP photosmart,using the jewelers loupe.
The little bell shaped ones,mine has two lenses,i unscrew the small one and use the big one
by holding it right to the camera lens.

Attachments

• HPIM0399.JPG
    HPIM0399.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 534
  • HPIM0399.JPG
    HPIM0399.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 531

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LabradorBob (Missouri) said:
This is with a HP photosmart,using the jewelers loupe.
The little bell shaped ones,mine has two lenses,i unscrew the small one and use the big one
by holding it right to the camera lens.

There you go, a loupe. Beautiful pic!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You do not have to spend a lot on a camera to take great closeup photos of coins. Great photos have more to do with the correct lighting than expensive equipment. The best lighting for really great pictures is natural lighting. There simply is no substitute.

The best time for taking pictures of coins outdoors is when the sun is lower in the sky. During the winter months in the USA the sun stays low in the sky so anytime of day will do. During the Summer months, the early morning or late afternoon sun gives great shadows that can really bring out details of coins. Make sure you are in direct sunlight, not in the shadows.

There are a few important features to look for that can help you take great pictures. Macro mode allows you to take photos at close ranges. White balance allows you to adjust your exposures for different lighting such as fluorescent lighting.

The photo below was taken with a $75 Fuji Camera under natural light. It was compressed to the current size for posting on the forums. (I have recently replaced it with an Olympus with similar results.)

P5040013.JPG

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which Olympus is that?I have the Stylus submersible(takes great pics under water)but I am hit or miss on the macro?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
kuger said:
Which Olympus is that?I have the Stylus submersible(takes great pics under water)but I am hit or miss on the macro?

The cheap one ;) I dont remember which model...FE 20, 8 megapixel and was on sale for $69.99 when I grabbed it. I am sure the Stylus has the Macro mode. It is the tulip icon on the menu.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
kuger said:

The cheap one ;) I dont remember which model...FE 20, 8 megapixel and was on sale for $69.99 when I grabbed it. I am sure the Stylus has the Macro mode. It is the tulip icon on the menu.
Thanks,yea,I use the Macro.It is a good little camera,shock proof and as said waterproof too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread