What's the best advice you can give to a beach detectorist?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Everyone,

What is the best advice/tips that you can give to a beach detectorist to find jewelry or other valuable targets? Just curious because I know that years of experience beats all in most cases.

Have a great day!
when in doubt dig it out... In water I dig everything. That's what we are all there to do rite?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Everyone,

What is the best advice/tips that you can give to a beach detectorist to find jewelry or other valuable targets? Just curious because I know that years of experience beats all in most cases.

Have a great day!
Don't get sand between your toes.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Use the right detector and make sure it is multifrequency. Oh ya, and a good sand scoop, and sun screen, and water. Just have fun and don't expect to find much and you won't be disappointed. Enjoy the moment; they're going fast.

Stateguyt

Greenie
Dec 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like someone said,learn your machine and stay with that machine. Learn your beaches. where I live certain winds do a lot too ocean beaches.
if it’s in your budget buy a good detector

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the dry sand read the beach. Look for flat spots where people were the day before and trashy areas . I have scooped up a dozen or more bottle caps at areas before finding a piece of jewelry. If your in the wet sand of course you want to be where the most people swim.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Low tide means more beach. Also, keep an eye on your “6”. Normally not an issue, but their are weirdos out there. Good luck 🍀

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patience.

I notice how you are new member and you explain how you want to hit valuables early, which is reasonable since that is pretty much what everyone wants. You did the right thing by doing research and asking for help. However, the thing that is more important than any knowledge or technique is having patience. I literally had days where I detected for ~2 hrs with not even a single coin only to go back to an adjacent spot a few weeks later to find 2 gold rings and a handful of silver coins. Don't burn yourself out and give up.

Take in the good advice you see here, but it is your job to put in to the test. Find a strategy that works for you on time allocation to wet sand vs dry sand. If you start in the wet and are making good progress then stick with it. Sometimes I'll hit the wet sand for and 1-2 hours and find only a few coins before starting to get bored. I then move to dry sand and find a few dozen to "salvage" the trip and feel alright about my hunt. Keep a positive mindset too.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
find a tide chart for your beach ,i like to go in the early and at low tide. less helpers the better. good luck

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I don’t know.
But in sand I don’t know why you wouldn’t
I don't use a scoop. I carry a shovel.. just too hard to dig those deep targets with a scoop

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you as a new person, the very BEST advise I can give you ...
NEVER NEVER expect anything, because most of the time you will get nothing... enjoy the walk, enjoy the breeze, enjoy the pretty girls in bikinis hahaha and be shocked when something fantastic pops out !! Use this to be happy with life, Not as a way to make a living in life... if you do this you will get joy out of this hobby. if you expect to find a million dollar buried treasured and retire for life, join a comedy club.. because that's a hoot.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.......and don't be the guy who meanders through the crowded throng of sun bathers swinging your detector saying....excuse me, excuse me.... wait till they are all gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread