What's the best advice you can give to a beach detectorist?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Every site/beach is different so it is kind of hard to say this is the secret that will work for you. For us to give you the best answer you have to tell us a little about you, the machine you plan on using? Area you plan on hunting? How much experience do you have? Details so we have a better idea where to advice.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would this apply to using all iron mode and digging ferrous only targets?
For most locations, I dig only non-ferrous targets, but, I dig all of those....no notching for the most part. If hunting during the day, sunscreen, a good hat, water bottle, tight fitting gloves, and a good pair of booties are a must in my book. As OBN asked, tell us a bit about yourself, your gear, where you plan to hunt, and what you're trying to find. Those answers can change our recommendations.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I live on Florida's east coast and have been hunting our beaches for a number of years. In that time, I've learned a thing or two about our beach characteristics and hunting them. Do I know it all? I've yet to meet the detectorist who does...and that goes in spades for me.

Learn your detector, study the beaches you intend to hit, learn how to read the ever changing conditions and the habits of those depositors that populate those beaches.

Detecting is a game of odds. The more you learn about a few key things, the more you increase those odds in your favor. But nothing can sway those odds in your favor more than time spent on the beach with your detector. You'll learn some little thing every time you go out...you'll learn from mistakes, good choices and the simple luck factor.
Soldier on....

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Observe and learn conditions at your beach everyday. By taking the time to look at your beach each day you will learn the ebb and flow of your beach....the sand, the water, and the wind are some of the things to observe. Different seasons will create different conditions during the year. As you learn these conditions it will help you to know when the time is right to make the best recoveries. Timing your hunts to match the best conditions is the key to success......this can only be achieved by careful observation of the conditions at your beach every day.

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Ah the good old day's and beleive it or not they still are...Casper has been an inspiration to many water hunters over his career. Myself included. We have had many great hunts over the years. Time to get back at it...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Observe and learn conditions at your beach everyday. By taking the time to look at your beach each day you will learn the ebb and flow of your beach....the sand, the water, and the wind are some of the things to observe. Different seasons will create different conditions during the year. As you learn these conditions it will help you to know when the time is right to make the best recoveries. Timing your hunts to match the best conditions is the key to success......this can only be achieved by careful observation of the conditions at your beach every day.
Also.... pay attention to where people go...... where they gravitate to.... the more activity the more drops = the more finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread