Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: WHAT'S THE BEST TICK REPELLANT?

I love garlic as a tasty spice to cook with, but if I just ate 5 bulbs of garlic, my stomache would digest the rest of my body! It really upsets me if I eat too much garlic. It grows wild around where old homesteads use to be and a good tip for metal detecting is that anywhere you find garlic growing might be an old homestead. It looks a lot like wild onions only a lot stronger. It would work well for BC here in the states but in Korea especially, everyone smells like garlic! It is a food staple there. Spoiled cabbage and garlic mixed is a staple for all Korean tables. The mix it and bury it in the ground in big pots and let it ferment. Then they dig it up and eat it. The call it Kimche or something similar in spelling to that. How well you make out with a native Korean girl depends on how long you can hold your breath! Any ex-GI who has been in Korea can attest to that fact. Not being facetious, it's just a truism. Monty

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

Monty said:
I love garlic as a tasty spice to cook with, but if I just ate 5 bulbs of garlic, my stomache would digest the rest of my body! It really upsets me if I eat too much garlic. It grows wild around where old homesteads use to be and a good tip for metal detecting is that anywhere you find garlic growing might be an old homestead. It looks a lot like wild onions only a lot stronger. It would work well for BC here in the states but in Korea especially, everyone smells like garlic! It is a food staple there. Spoiled cabbage and garlic mixed is a staple for all Korean tables. The mix it and bury it in the ground in big pots and let it ferment. Then they dig it up and eat it. The call it Kimche or something similar in spelling to that. How well you make out with a native Korean girl depends on how long you can hold your breath! Any ex-GI who has been in Korea can attest to that fact. Not being facetious, it's just a truism. Monty

Kimche is good :thumbsup: so is baloots :thumbsup:

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT

so thats why my md`er does`nt get ticks. its always going deet deet deet deet deet deet -----------------

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

Something like this

Attachments

• katrinagumby_600.jpg
    katrinagumby_600.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 210

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gtfd47 said:
Interesting, cause i posted something similar last year as was already brought up. I have spoken to several friends who are hunters. They also rec comended REPEL., but not the bug spray. It is the REPEL for clothing and gear. Basically it is an aerosol, and you spray paint your clothes with it, then let it dry for 4 hrs. Don't get it on your skin while wet, but it bods to your clothes. It has pemethrin in it. I have never seen anything like it. It works the nuts. Once dry, it is good for about 10 days with no washing (I use a specific set of clothes), but if you wash them, just re apply. Only 6 bucks a can @ Walmart in the camping hunting section

I wholeheartedly agree REPEL for clothing - Works better than anything I have ever tried and South Jersey woods can be horrible for ticks.........
Spray footwear, socks and pants, outside of gloves if used. A bit hazardous to use in hot weather, since sweat and the repellent might react negatively to your skin, a burning type rash could result.

Don

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250

We do one of two things.

1. Put a tick collar for dogs around your ankle. Sounds weird but it works.
2. Growing up we used to have an old sock filled with sulphur. We would beat it on our shoes all the way up our pants legs. This works great also.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.

When I was in the army we put Hartz flee/tick collars around our lower leg under the pant leg blouse. I never had any bites all the time we were out in the woods.
Wish you all the best,
Clayton

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm a land surveyor. I spend a LOT of time in the woods, regardless of the conditions. And I hate bugs; mosquitoes and black flies are my particular unfavorites. I usually don't get many ticks for some reason, but I understand getting up at 3 AM feeling a tick crawling on you. Makes it hard to get back to sleep. I used to wonder what chiggers were, but after a run in with these little buggers that lasted a week, I've added them to my "bad bug" list.

I have tried everything you can imagine, but the best thing I have found so far is Permethrin. Used on your clothes, it kills insects. I've never had one bite through it, even when the skeeters were voratious. They land, they die. Ticks too. Once they are exposed to Permethrin, they are goners, and just drop off before you know they're there. I spray my hair and that seems to work there (they advertise it for dogs).

As I understand it, if you put it on your skin, it metabolizes rapidly, losing effectiveness. So on exposed skin, I use DEET, but I don't like it. Too much makes my skin "crawl", and anything that melts plastic pencils may not be good for you. So, limit your exposed skin by using clothing you can use Permethrin on.

I am amused by "housewife" remedies like Skin so Soft, vitamin B, garlic (I love the stuff, and eat whole cloves of it). They may have a little effectiveness when the bugs are on "lazy", but I've noticed when I'm in the deep woods and the hordes are vicious, there is a distinct lack of housewives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread