True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the deal with Electrolysis

I'm starting to think that this method of cleaning is total BS. It cleans Silver nice but really screws up cents and nickels. What's up with this? or is my method of 1 cup H2o / 2 Spoons Salt / 7V-DC output Transformer/ wrong?

Upvote 0

elkboy

Jan 29, 2004
Muncie, IND
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum
Re: What's the deal with Electrolysis

I agree with you I messed up a couple of wheaties trying this same method. So I don't use it on coins but I really works well on old rust coated Iron and other metals (relics)... HH Dave

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did it turn the Wheaties black? It did mine! And, turned a Nickel coppery color ??? Worked sweet on a silver, though i'm apprehensive about putting any more in it.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

I asked this question awhile back, and didn't get much of a responce...
I too, have ruined some copper using this method. I have read that you shouldn't use this method on rare coins, but aren't most the coins we find somewhat rare, Wheaties, IH's, and so on... I would hate to think that the Wheaties, and IH's I have cleaned today would be worth nothing in the future because I cleaned them this way.
I simply quit using it to clean anything... I switched to using heated up peroxide, and a soft tooth brush...
Good Luck & Happy Hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread