gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's this?

Could be an old logging operation. It's common practice to drag the logs uphill using a tipple and cable, to a central location. The loggers would circle the hill cutting the timber, that gives you your horizontal lines. And the logs being dragged up the hill, gives you your vertical lines. Once the logs were reached the top they were loaded on trucks and trucked to the sawmill. There should be a larger road leading from the top of the mountains. Here in WV you can still see these types of lines from turn of the century logging efforts.

Greg

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think that we are being duped. It is an overlay on a map. Notice the cowboy with his horse on the top right along with other figures there and throughout? Snake eater, I hate those big spiders! What group? What year?

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Second guess Daniel, I recognize one of the figures there, Picture taken on Mars!

OP
OP
DanielWestman

DanielWestman

Aug 15, 2008
Umeå

No it´s not taken on Mars, I found the area in south Texas using Google Maps, just north of Laredo.
An old logging operation would make sense, thanks for the explanation.

whitt459

Feb 20, 2006

i dont think that ther ever was enough trees in that area of texas to even think about starting a logging operation

Gotrek

Nov 26, 2008

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That part of the area, is flat, and also, trees were not tall enough to have a major logging operation. The area generally consisted of live oak, which soe do not grow very tall. If you look into the center of the upper web and the center of the lower web. The octagon shape in the lower right and the one in the upper left has trees around it as if it was a fort or mission wall. In the octagon one, you see square patterns that could be either a walls and outline of buildings. I don't have any explanation as the spider web design, but my unit during some time away from the unit we would tour some of the mission ruins around San Antonio, etc. I would lay money, (almost) that those squares are definitely a rock wall with trees and shrubs surrounding it. Some of the mission ruins we went to, the park quide would tell how the garden areas were walled off with only one entrance in it. Some of the gardens, etc were placed on the outside walls of the mission. Some of those smaller squares could be storeage building foundations, or also some of the missions would have different areas walled off as one would build there own fence like around thier own home property. The only thing I could figure about the spider web design could be paths cut, to show the mission from a distance from all directions so one could find it. I don't know but this is what I guess without actually going to it. Maybe it could be a fort foundations as well from the octagon outline wtih an outer wall and an inner wall surrounding the fort, mission ,etc and structure. I wouldn't mind scoping it out if you want someone to check it out with you. The Octagon one is only 3.89 miles from IH 35 and the other one is less than 2 miles.

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a large cattle ranch with subdivided fields which all come in to a smaller holding pen.
Zoom in on the larger one in the lower right, looks like a herd of Hereford to me.
Many smaller fields are easier to round up in than just one big field.
Easier to have multiple herds and types also

Bulldozing on both sides of the fence line is common practice. Makes for a decent road to check fence by.
Notice some brush growing in the fence lines too.

That's my 2 cents worth and I could be way off....

There's also a vehicle test track just SW of there.

Searcher (Who lives a few hrs drive from Laredo)

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Reply To This Topic #2 Posted Oct 31, 2008, 10:23:01 AM

Reply with quoteQuote
Large, subterranean spiders?

Funny post man. Made me lol.

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I really wanted to know I would go to the courthouse and see who or what company used to own it.

shellynwm

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is all private ranch land, the lines are roads ranchers cut thru the ranch land to access it. There are few trees, mostly scrub. I owned a small ranch about 10 miles north of this area. Hope this helps.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, probably a ranch. It just brings into mind, when I used to use google to search for ICBM sites in the Soviet Union. They were of course well hidden in the forest, but seems like after being used for years, they developed foot paths, between the silos and some buildings, so there was this very special pattern to all the sites and very easy to spot them. Just interesting to see how close they were to areas I had traveled. You never know what is behind that clump of trees.

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anybody else find it interesting that the place is called Webb..and those patterns look like webs -makes me think the name came afterwards.........hmm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread