Wheat Penny question…..

You have given me an idea !! When I go hunting with my friend from now on, I'm going to take a few and throw them in front of him, just for the hell of it... Much better than trying to sell them for $0.35 cents ha ha ha
Good one! Write your friends name on them. Say for instance, “Hi Bill” or “Sucker” . 🤪

Ok Folks,
I’m sure there may be a link already here on Tnet, but I didn’t find it.

Question:
What do all of you do with your Wheat Pennie’s that you dig up?

When I get them home , I clean off enough crud with a toothpick to see if I have any key dates. Most of the ones I’ve dug show a value of about 10-35 cents in the Red Book in crappy condition. And that’s probably high for a dug coin.

So do you mass clean them, roll them up, and take them to the bank?
My mass cleaning method for clad is using a rock tumbler BTW.

Or do you do something else with them?
Something that will get you more than a penny a piece for them?

Just curious. I’ve just been tossing mine into a jar dirty after I check the dates.

The wheat penny gets no respect. 😭
Thanks for any input,
MM
I do the same as you MM.. I have never found a valuable one,

Ok Folks,

Question:

When I get them home , I clean off enough crud with a toothpick to see if I have any key dates. Most of the ones I’ve dug show a value of about 10-35 cents in the Red Book in crappy condition. And that’s probably high for a dug coin.

Just curious. I’ve just been tossing mine into a jar dirty after I check the dates.

Thanks for any input,
MM

Ok Folks,

Question:

Thanks for any input,
MM
I came across an old Ball mason jar with the spring top at an antique store a while back. I bought it because it was a cool looking jar with the tinted glass but didn’t have a use for it until I got home. Now it stores all my cleaned up Wheaties that I can display without hiding them away in the closet!

Attachments

• IMG_6007.jpeg
    IMG_6007.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6006.jpeg
    IMG_6006.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
I do the same as you MM.. I have never found a valuable one,
Merf,
Do you want to trade my 62 wheat Pennie’s for that CSA button you found?
🤪 That was one hell of a find. It needs to be up on the banner train. 👍

I came across an old Ball mason jar with the spring top at an antique store a while back. I bought it because it was a cool looking jar with the tinted glass but didn’t have a use for it until I got home. Now it stores all my cleaned up Wheaties that I can display without hiding them away in the closet!
You are a mind reader. I just put mine in a clear Ball just with snap lid about an hour ago. Those jars look great with marbles in them too. 👍
Thanks for l@@king,
MM

As stated above... Wheat's are always a welcomed find... not because its a wheat... (i will keep em in good shape) but because it shows that no one has detected that area... especially if you find a few or more.

I found a coin shop in my area that’ll pay 50 cents per. As long as they are in decent condition. I still hoard them anyways. I don’t mind finding wheats.

I found a coin shop in my area that’ll pay 50 cents per. As long as they are in decent condition. I still hoard them anyways. I don’t mind finding wheats.
That’s great getting 50 cents each. 👍
Me too buddy, I like finding wheats. Not a fan of memorials being 6” down though. lol

this is really cool

I then took the 62 wheats I had and put them in the tumbler with water, a squirt of dish soap, an aquarium gravel.
That did a far better job. There were some stubborn ones that the green wouldn’t come off even after tumbling.

Please pardon my newbnorance (trying to learn here), but wouldn't a sonic cleaner be a better method? 🤨

Or are copper coins usually in such rough shape that a little more abrasion/wear doesn't/wouldn't matter?

Now, what to do with this roll of 1943 copper wheaties? 🙄

Please pardon my newbnorance (trying to learn here), but wouldn't a sonic cleaner be a better method? 🤨

Or are copper coins usually in such rough shape that a little more abrasion/wear doesn't/wouldn't matter?

Now, what to do with this roll of 1943 copper wheaties? 🙄
I have no idea about a sonic cleaner?
Maybe someone else can chime in.
The 62 wheats i have go from the 1910’s to 1950’s.

I’m seeing average circulated wheat rolls selling for $5-$6 on eBay, with shipping (included) paid for by the buyer. Ten years ago my local shop was paying two cents each. Dug wheats appear to be less desirable unless in good condition. The older, the more valuable (1909-1930’s). I tend to tumble mine and have at least 1,000+ that I’ve dug the last 15 years. I roll them up and put them away, I’m a packrat by nature and have never sold any finds yet.

Copper cents before 1983 contain 2.5 cents worth in copper each, and sell on eBay for roughly 2 cents, buyer paying extra for shipping in most cases.
The best thing to do is start a Whitman collection of them.

I have no idea about a sonic cleaner?
Maybe someone else can chime in.
The 62 wheats i have go from the 1910’s to 1950’s.
I don't have time to vet ATM, but this google link should provide a smattering of articles and products.

In a previous life we used them to clean old dried ink off of technical pen nibs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back