When the rains stopped.

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
I went out for a hunt today by myself seeing as the rain had stopped for the first time in about a week. I found some cool stuff and and had good time. I was on a Maryland civil war battlefield and an current private residence near where the fighting happened.

I found a nice grommet with the leather still attached. There are two items that I'm unsure what they are. The first is a brass clip of some sort. The other is a square piece of brass with a hole in the center. It has the letter "B" in the top left corner. Let me know if you've seen any of these before.

I put a newer dime beside it for reference.

Thanks and HH.

Attachments

• DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 549
  • DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 548
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 545
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, Minelab X-Terra 70
Looks like some good finds, the rains did not stop down here in the Outer Banks todays. Heavy mist to light rain, the wave action was HEAVY.......but still found a gold ring and a bunch of coins at low tide. Hopefully the rest of the week will be good, as it should. Cant wait to get back and hit the "spot" with you..................

Elliott Ness

Dec 1, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac / Garett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some pretty neat finds. That area continues to produce. This fall should be good.

eggbag

Mar 17, 2008
The small clip looking thing is an acordian reed i think, that one has two reeds on it. They would vibrate when the air went over them like a larger version of a harmonica reed. Sometimes if you clean them up good the note that they play is stamped at the end of the frame. Not sure on the other whatsit with the hole, it almost looks like part of a large caster wheel where the axle went through and the bearings rode in that tray in the groove around the hole.

whynot

Jan 27, 2005
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/ 9x12 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk about the things you learn on these forums!!!!! My surname is Wight and I never knew about any Wight's owning and operation distilleries, even after attending serveral National Wight reunions... LOL

One ancestor helps found the Mormons, another brews whiskey. That pretty much runs the gamut!

Thanks for the link, PoptopAgain!

Nice finds, eggbag. Especially the bottle cap, IMHO. :laughing7:
-whynot

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wicked good digs! But I could not go a week with out a MD fix . I would of wraped the detector up in a plastic bag and went for it .

OP
OP
Poptopagain

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
Thanks for the info guys. I would have never guessed about the accordian. And funny I did bring a trash bag and duct tape with me in case it started raining again.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eggbag said:
The small clip looking thing is an acordian reed i think, that one has two reeds on it. They would vibrate when the air went over them like a larger version of a harmonica reed. Sometimes if you clean them up good the note that they play is stamped at the end of the frame. Not sure on the other whatsit with the hole, it almost looks like part of a large caster wheel where the axle went through and the bearings rode in that tray in the groove around the hole.

That is exactly what the clip piece is. It is an accordian reed.

Cheers,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread