When to replace battery and how do you know?

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe this has been asked before, but … How long do the Equinox 800 batteries last before they need to be replaced? How do you know your battery is starting to fail? The reason I ask is that my two-year old Equinox seems to only hold a charge for about three to four hours now, which is much lower than previously. Also, I had two instances where I got to my detecting spot, only to find out that my Equinox would not work. It would turn on, but not cycle through to the ready mode. I am guessing it didn’t have enough power to fully boot up, though I am not sure, as I couldn’t see the battery level display. It seemed to be OK once I got it home and charged it up, but it was obviously very frustrating. If the battery does need to be replaced, does it have to go back to Minelab, or can a relatively unskilled person like me replace it on my own? Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As it is still under warranty, I'd call Minelab.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming your charger and cable are working correctly, I'd say your battery is on the way out. Mine is over 3 years old now and still going strong, although I had a strange experience a few days ago myself. I had it on the charger overnight, and it showed it being fully charged (steady green light). Took it out detecting and after only 2 hours, I get a BF code on the screen and the detector shuts off. I'm thinking bad battery myself and wondered about it's replacement, same as you. I went home and put it back on the charger, making sure the connections were all good and clean. It charged up, had the solid green light, turned on the machine, and it showed full bars. I've been out twice since then and haven't had any issues, so, who knows? I have an RNB battery backup system for it, so, I'm not too worried about it dying on an important hunt, but, hopefully there will be good battery replacement options when the time comes. I see a few batteries for it if I do a google search, but, the ease and quality of using those replacements is a big question. Might just be better to get the genuine deal from Minelab, and maybe even have them install it. Anyone out there have to change theirs out of warranty? Did you do it yourself, or, have MInelab do it? Cost?

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seem to recall that the battery has a shorter warranty, maybe six months.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I think you are correct about the six month warranty on the battery. I’m still going to give them a call though.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For reference, i bought my Equinox when they first came out and sold it almost exactly 3 years later a few months ago and it still held its charge for a whole afternoon of hunting, no problems, so i'd agree that your battery is failing.

Here's a video on how to replace it. I believe it's a 26650 battery, but it appears it has a little wired plug coming out of it, so it may have a little protective circuit on it, so you may need to get the battery from minelab to have the proper plug.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Assuming your charger and cable are working correctly, I'd say your battery is on the way out. Mine is over 3 years old now and still going strong, although I had a strange experience a few days ago myself. I had it on the charger overnight, and it showed it being fully charged (steady green light). Took it out detecting and after only 2 hours, I get a BF code on the screen and the detector shuts off. I'm thinking bad battery myself and wondered about it's replacement, same as you. I went home and put it back on the charger, making sure the connections were all good and clean. It charged up, had the solid green light, turned on the machine, and it showed full bars. I've been out twice since then and haven't had any issues, so, who knows? I have an RNB battery backup system for it, so, I'm not too worried about it dying on an important hunt, but, hopefully there will be good battery replacement options when the time comes. I see a few batteries for it if I do a google search, but, the ease and quality of using those replacements is a big question. Might just be better to get the genuine deal from Minelab, and maybe even have them install it. Anyone out there have to change theirs out of warranty? Did you do it yourself, or, have MInelab do it? Cost?

Thanks. I think my cord and charger are working properly, as the detector gets fully charged. It just seems the battery does not stay charged for long. My equinox is less than two years old, so I am surprised I’m having problems this soon. I think I will reach out to Minelab to find out my options.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For reference, i bought my Equinox when they first came out and sold it almost exactly 3 years later a few months ago and it still held its charge for a whole afternoon of hunting, no problems, so i'd agree that your battery is failing.

Here's a video on how to replace it. I believe it's a 26650 battery, but it appears it has a little wired plug coming out of it, so it may have a little protective circuit on it, so you may need to get the battery from minelab to have the proper plug.

Thanks for the info and the video. If I do attempt to replace the battery myself, I will definitely get an official Minelab battery, as I want to be sure it is compatible.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I think my cord and charger are working properly, as the detector gets fully charged. It just seems the battery does not stay charged for long. My equinox is less than two years old, so I am surprised I’m having problems this soon. I think I will reach out to Minelab to find out my options.

Check your charging contacts on the machine. Make sure they are clean and bright copper colored!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check your charging contacts on the machine. Make sure they are clean and bright copper colored!

Thanks for the tip. I will do that, though charging has not been a problem; it just loses its charge too quickly.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip. I will do that, though charging has not been a problem; it just loses its charge too quickly.

No prob. Thanks, you post reminded me that either of my two batteries could be up with my machines being 3yrs old. Before I head back down it will be with a new spare battery in hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread