When you got the fever, I guess you got it.....

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II DP; Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been acting a fool lately. Picking up rocks randomly, mumbling to myself, cursing the gods, and buying a friggin' bonanza of mining supplies. It's definitely grabbed my interest and fortunately, I live in one of the better parts of the country to be in Southern, AZ. I've gone as far a scrutinizing the darn decorative rocks in my yard and everywhere in this neighborhood I live in. I live right next to one of the largest open pit copper mines in the world. I imaging that the local rock co. gets the tailing for real cheap and the hauling distance is not far which makes it even more worth it. Well, I got to looking at these boulders they have thrown in my yard and what do I find? See for your self......Can anyone ID what's in there? A few guesses for fun I Reckon?

Attachments

• Yard Rock 2.jpg
    Yard Rock 2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 297
  • Yard Rock 3.1.jpg
    Yard Rock 3.1.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 291
  • Yard Rock 1.1.jpg
    Yard Rock 1.1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Regular dec rock2.jpg
    Regular dec rock2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 291
  • Regular dec rock1.jpg
    Regular dec rock1.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 304
  • Regular dec rock.jpg
    Regular dec rock.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Yard Rock 3.jpg
    Yard Rock 3.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Yard Rock 3.1.jpg
    Yard Rock 3.1.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 292
  • Yard Rock 2.4.jpg
    Yard Rock 2.4.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Yard Rock 2.3.jpg
    Yard Rock 2.3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 293
  • Yard Rock 2.jpg
    Yard Rock 2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 288
  • Yard Rock 2.2.jpg
    Yard Rock 2.2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 297
  • Yard Rock 1.jpg
    Yard Rock 1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Yard Rock 1.2.jpg
    Yard Rock 1.2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 290

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from Yarnell,AZ. Well, I'll be back there at the end of the month, anyway. Hmm... I would GUESS the brown is iron oxides, the green, no doubt copper, and the white vien, quartz. Try to look at the rocks with a mineral scope. TTC

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I reckon you could snag one of the smaller ones when the boss wasn't looking, put it in a plastic tub let it take a bath in HF (way out in the desert of course) and see what remains after a few days.

Gramps

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW, quartz is the most common mineral on earth... yet the most sought after, when looking for gold. Go figure. TTC

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BornOnFire

Klondike here...

Welcome to the world of gold fever.. uh, I mean Gold prospecting...

I remember back 40 plus years ago...maybe even 50 years now... when I got bit...by the gold fever bug...everything had gold in it right??... But not so.. and take it from an experienced guy.. Get a grip on it.. if not you may make some weird decisions would not have normally made.. keep a cool head... and don't jump into anything... always think it through...

I am starting to write a book about my mining life and one or two chapters on the effects of the "gold fever" bug... the Title will be ..."From the Shovel to the Bank"...and it should help folks like you...those who are just getting started as well as those who have bitten by the BUG!...

Good luck to you..

Klondike...

OP
OP
BornOnFire

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Much appreciated for the advice gents. especially the advice to cool down a bit from Klondike. Then again, Gramps is more like me, I'd like to get my hands on an old cast iron bath tub and park it out on my buddies land for some 49%HFA work etc....

Nonetheless, I am not afraid to admit that I am a sucker for a good time and Using my eye lope on rocks in the AZ Desert is a darn good time for a poor 'ol bastard like me who has caught the fever......trying to keep my wallet in the pocket. Hard thing to do at times...LOL.....It's out there folks. When a mining company from Canada spends millions to convince a community to dig an open pit in some of the most pristine Forest Service land, the gold is out there.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BornOnFire. My brother TimC and I went and visited the Carson Hill, (CA) open pit mine. It has been active since the rush. We asked if we could get some rock samples... to better educate ourselves to what to look for when prospecting. The office girl politely said no. We asked if we could walk around... again, no. They sell AGGRAGATES there (ha ha)! She would only acknowledge that, yes, gold is also found but would not say how much. I believe, if the company stock is traded publicly, the info on what is coming off the hill is available. Hope your rocks "pan out" (damn, I'm good!). TTC

OP
OP
BornOnFire

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I gotta tell ya, these mining companies are smart and do their home work. They have been here for about 6 years so far quietly buying up claims and private land. Looks like they bought an old copper mine that never really produced due to the lack of water out here. The owner was probably paid big! They've done all of the geologic drill sampling and have determined that they will dig a pit 2300' deep and create a tailing pile 600-900' tall and about 18000 (9 miles) long in some of the most beautiful wilderness I've personally seen. about 2/3 of the proposed project is on existing National Forest Land. I am all for jobs and boosting local economy but at what price? There are several other very rich Copper Ore deposits that are ready to mine here in AZ but they choose to dig on National Forest Land probably because they know What they are doing. They are pretty much going to be allowed to come in and do whatever the heck they want. I don't like it one bit because this land is going to pay hard for this operation and I feel like I will loose a good friend. Here's a link to the project...pretty interesting info there.....I LOVE how they try to pitch the "Green" philospphy....
http://www.rosemontcopper.com/index.html
Here's a few pics I took of some of the land they are proposing to mine. It's loaded with Old Oaks, Beautiful Canyons and excellent recreation for the residents of Tucson including some of the best prospecting in the state:

Attachments

• Santa Ritas 1.jpg
    Santa Ritas 1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Santa Ritas 2.jpg
    Santa Ritas 2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 199
  • Santa Ritas 3.jpg
    Santa Ritas 3.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Santa Ritas 4.jpg
    Santa Ritas 4.jpg