Where can I find a spring fired grappling hook?

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done some looking. And, have ask a few sporting good stores,

about a spring fired grappling hook. No one, so far carries them.

I know they were on the market a few years ago. But, can't remember

who had them. They were under two hundred dollars. For any relic, treasure

hunter, this would be a good piece of equipment to have with them.

Doe's anyone know where I can find a spring fired grapplin hook?

I would also be open to some ideas, on how to make one.

Clayton

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mabey from Batman ? Just kidding....Never seen one but mabey you could make one using a speargun or bow ? Somewere around here I have a book that tells how to make a speargun using a fire extiguiser so mabey that's an idea ?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check Army Surplus stores. Then check Police supply stores that specialize in SWAT team equipment, etc. Monty

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Burnt Chimney said:
They look pretty cool, But I may need a pack mule if I carry anything else ! ;D

Nice Avatar and UserName. Oh--and Welcome to Tnet!

-Buckles

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a word of warning. Check your local laws, heard these were being classed as a weapon. Was looking at one for a line chucker. The company advised me they would only sell to law enforcement. That killed that idea for me. Be safe!

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Just a word of warning. Check your local laws, heard these were being classed as a weapon. Was looking at one for a line chucker. The company advised me they would only sell to law enforcement. That killed that idea for me. Be safe!

You got to be kidding. What the hell is it classed as a weapon for?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roadquest said:
boogeyman said:

You got to be kidding. What the hell is it classed as a weapon for?

I'm not a paranoid politician. Don't have the foggiest!?!?! Still can't figure out why almost anything bigger than a 5 cent peashooter is an illegal weapon in Calif?!?!

The only thing I can figure is if it'll chuck a couple hundred yards of line, they are probably scared of liability issues. Never persued it any further, since after thinking a little harder I realised I had a cross bow. Ended up making a reel like the old Bear fishing arrow setups. Works fine! Oh lesson learned. Glue a super ball on the end of the bolt ;D Not to mention it's multiuse & a hack of a lot cheaper ::)

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cross bow and the spear gun. Seem's like a workable idea. What I'm looking
for is something that would be fairly easy to carry. And a "treasure" hunter could use
if they fell into a deep hole or well. And they didn't brake an arm. They could stand a Chance
of getting out. I'm working with the spear gun idea now. I think if this could be made, light
weight enough. and keep the cost reasonable. A lot of metal detecting people would carry one.
Could be a life saver.

Roadquest

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For portability and close quarters such as a mine shaft, a crossbow pistol would be a lot easier to carry than a speargun. Barnett makes a couple nice ones. I have used a chinese knock off to shoot a piece of pull through line through a ceiling to pull multiple cables. A lot faster & no trashing ceiling tiles.

Of course, an easier plan is to ALWAYS be aware of where you're stepping. Check out the area for potential hazards such as snakes, shafts etc before getting the equipment out of the jeep. If exploring caves or mines, take someone with to stay outside to go for help if needed. And make sure you have safety ropes & climbing gear.

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
For portability and close quarters such as a mine shaft, a crossbow pistol would be a lot easier to carry than a speargun. Barnett makes a couple nice ones. I have used a chinese knock off to shoot a piece of pull through line through a ceiling to pull multiple cables. A lot faster & no trashing ceiling tiles.

Of course, an easier plan is to ALWAYS be aware of where you're stepping. Check out the area for potential hazards such as snakes, shafts etc before getting the equipment out of the jeep. If exploring caves or mines, take someone with to stay outside to go for help if needed. And make sure you have safety ropes & climbing gear.

I'd like to talk with you about how you have your crossbow pistol sit up. Maybe I can get
up with you tonite. If you are on TreasureNet.

Roadquest

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a license to hunt with a crossbow and they are really awkward to carry around in the woods. They have a tendency to get hung up on the brush. A pistol crossbow? Might work, depending on how powerful it is. If it could shoot a large enough line to support your weight? Monty

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I have a license to hunt with a crossbow and they are really awkward to carry around in the woods. They have a tendency to get hung up on the brush. A pistol crossbow? Might work, depending on how powerful it is. If it could shoot a large enough line to support your weight? Monty

Monty,...That's the whole deal. Having something strong enough to shoot a line to support
your weight. So far, the spear gun is the only thing I have found. That can do the job. That
can be put together at a price within a working mans budget. I'm working on some details, we will see.

Clayton

Monty,
Monty said:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cheap crossbow shoots at around 300 fps. Like Monty said they are cumbersome though. A spear gun or better yet a Hawaiian sling or spear would chunk a rope pretty good and could be used as a walking stick and for protection. I still have the head of one of mine buried in a tree. Never thought about falling into mine shafts. Good luck and be safe.
TnMountains

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
How big does this have to be? I'm thinking you might be able to find a local welder that could make a small version that would be plenty strong.. I bought a g'hook (el cheapo) from Harbor Freight tools I think. I'm not sure I'd put my life on it but it's pretty strong. Now don't LOL but it was purchased to drag dead pigs out of a steep-banked creek! Don't know your situation but as a game hunter turned treasure hunter I still have the lighter and smaller mentality! That would also make the launch apparatus less critical?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread