Where do you dig on a cobble stone bar?

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgive my newbness please:icon_scratch:. I'm just getting into this and absolutely loving it. There a few local spots to me near Denver Colorado that have cobble stone bars. When the water level gets low they are almost completely exposed. Where do you experienced prospectors dig when the cobble stone bar is exposed? I was thinking to dig at the furthest down stream point or just after the cobble stones. Please help point me in the right direction. Thanks! You guys :headbang:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in for a Sick Day too! With all the recent rain/snow it may be a while before the water level gets low enough. Here's some shots from an outing taking the 6" deep approach ;) This was about a two hour total outing and 1 bucket of classified material down to 1/16 run through the sluice at the stream. I took the cons home for some comfy panning. I suck at it but still learning.
sluice.JPG au in pan.JPG
Thanks for all the advice!

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good advise for everyone Kevin. Listen to the guys that are out a few times a week in your area. Most will share these tidbits of info. Do your own sampling too, but to add an overview of someone else's efforts.

Obviously one needs to get a read on the info giver to get full benefit. Some straight shooters will put you right on the gold. Guys like Kevin and most of us here. Others could follow selfish motives. Maybe put you off the gold. Or have you move some overburden. Or just be that guy that knows it all. He didn't find gold so you won't either.

Here's my addition; Where you're digging in deep overburden the gold still runs in streaks. Up or down from where others have dug is a good place to start. Also, remember where there's a streak there's a matching area of deficit nearby.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, maybe I'll have to get sick too so we can all have a day off to play together!

All the best,

Lanny

Yes, starting Thursday, I have no classes for awhile and no major responsibilities. We have a dead week, then graduation, so I can take a sick day, too. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread